News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Cracked dash

Started by 500eguy, 23 January 2007, 03:49 PM

500eguy

Hello guys, i am sure this must be a common problem old Benzes. The dash pad is cracked in several locations. Is the dash pad readily available?

Andrew116

This is a thread from a previous post...
Maybe it helps.

http://forum.w116.org/index.php/topic,332.msg2110.html#msg2110

The dash problem I think was taken seriously here.... try the search option for crack/s and dash...
But I know you'll get a qualified answer from one of the guys here  ;)

Andrew in Romania

oscar

Hi 500eguy,

Yes they're readily available, especially if your LHD mainland US.  I've come across a few sites that sell dashcaps that you put on yourself.  The best I've heard is to send the dash in (don't know where for you sorry) to have a new cap fitted or vacuformed but I haven't done either.  I'd be happy with a cap glued on if I could find a RHD version.

Here's one link but not the one I've looked at in the past.  I'm sure there are others that will ship to Hawaii.  This is for a 350se but it's basically the same.  Search your car and you'll find the right one.
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Dash_Pad_Cover/MercedesBenz/350SE/1AIDC00152/68266&ovchn=OTHER&ovcpn=NexTag&ovcrn=&ovtac=CMP
1973 350SE, my first & fave

gregdeklerk

This is unfortunately one of the most annoying problems with the 116, especially in hot climates like Aus and South Africa. My car luckily has an uncracked dash because it spent most of its life standing in the previous owner's garage, but then because it stood idle for so long, I have all the mechanical problems that come with standing!!

s class

Greg,

You are a lucky man.  If I saw a 116 with a good dash, I would buy it regardless of any other consideration, even if only to salvage the dash.  My 280SE's dash is pretty bad, and it must get attended to when I strip the car for a respray soon.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL