News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Correct location for period AMG trunk lid emblem

Started by s class, 29 August 2018, 09:53 AM

s class

So I have a period correct AMG trunk lid emblem that I want to attach to the red car.  Obviously I would like its location to be accurate. 

The general consensus is that it is located on the left of the trunk lid, in place of the type designation.  On 6.9s the "6.9" remains on the right hand side in the standard location.

Does anyone have definitive data on the position of the AMG emblem with respect to the lower edge of the trunk lid, and the left edge of the trunk lid?

I have scoured photos off the net, and I will try to determine this information from them, but I suspect most of the cars in the photos also had the amblem retrofitted, so one can't be confident their emblem positioning is correct.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

daantjie

Well, knowing the Germans there will be a spec somewhere but good luck finding it ::)

From what I've seen the "goal" is to line up the bottom of the type designations with the bottom of the Mercedes star on the trunk, though I do not claim this to be 100% accurate.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

s class

I suspect that the holes for the mounting pins of the AMG emblem will be at the same distance from the lower edge of the trunk lid as the standard type designations.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Mick74

Hi s class,

I just noticed this thread and I have an AMG badge on my car. I hope that this helps you with siting yours, assuming of course that mine is in the right place! Ignore the number plate: that was a wind up among friends.
1979 6.9 #6475

s class

Thank you very much, appreciated.  I've searched out pictures on the internet, but none of them are square on from the rear, so determining measurements from those photos is difficult.  Yours is the best pic I've seen so far.