News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Console switches

Started by AMG69, 03 July 2007, 03:44 AM

AMG69

Can I just clarify something....do any of the 4 toggle switches above the heater levers / air cond controls illuminate when the headlights come on?  My demister switch lights up when you turn it on but none of the others...is that correct?
Chris
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

nathan

hi chris,
styria has pointed it out well...attached is a crap pic from a while back of the 6.9...
you see with the white arrow where 4 wires come off the top of the slider control bit...one wire goes to the back of each switch...in the yellow wire you see an example of the wire size...this ensures that when you dim the speedo cluster, the instrument cluster dims at the same rate - impressive thinking i reckon...

nathan
PS before you ask, sorry dude, goldy was missing his so i need those off the wrecks!!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

gregdeklerk

Now you guys have got me thinking - I must check if mine works. I have a "plain jane" model and only have the rear light switch!!

oscar

Just remember there are at least two types of switches for the upper console.  Only the later type are illuminated

-Early non illuminated squarer edged switches

-Later style round edged illuminated switches

1973 350SE, my first & fave

gregdeklerk

Mine is the early type, so perhaps it is not supposed to have back lighting!

frikkie

Quote from: oscar on 03 July 2007, 09:41 AM
-Early non illuminated squarer edged switches

Mine look exactly like these, and they're very much illuminated.

gregdeklerk

Quote from: frikkie on 03 July 2007, 09:50 AM

Your car is a later model.

frikkie

Quote from: gregdeklerk on 03 July 2007, 09:52 AM

Your car is a later model.

Yes, but it doesn't have those rounded-edge switches though...

WGB

The rounded edge switches look more like 126 switches to me.

Bill

oscar

No No No!!! Don't tell me that.   This just means something else I have to fix. :( ;)

Frikkie, would you be so kind as to provide a picture of your switch/s when you have time.?

Late or early, I always believed the squarer switches were non illuminated.  They're usually shiny smooth black finish unlike the rounder edged switches that are matt finished or very slightly textured.

I agree the round edged switches look w126ish and I've seen them advertised rightly or wrongly as fitting both models.  First light I'll be down at work taking pics of my switches.  But I thought w126 switches were  vertically mounted with the icons suiting vertical mounting.  A quick ebay search and.....
Compare this antenna switch for example. 

W126

W116

Brian Crump

QuoteFirst light I'll be down at work taking pics of my switches.
Minister of Obsession  :o
Regards,
BC

oscar

s class

I'm inclined to agree with this early/late thing.  My car is a '80, with the more rounded switches that are illuminated.  I fitted an extra switch as a manual override for the aux fan.  THat switch came from a '73 280S, and has the squarer edges.  I don't recall it having a place to insert the illuminating optics - but my memory is getting pretty sad.   

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

frikkie

Quote from: oscar on 03 July 2007, 10:08 AM
Frikkie, would you be so kind as to provide a picture of your switch/s when you have time.?

Late or early, I always believed the squarer switches were non illuminated.  They're usually shiny smooth black finish unlike the rounder edged switches that are matt finished or very slightly textured.
W116

Now not so sure myself... ??? Here they are:

s class

Frikkie, yours are the same more rounded type as mine - correct for a late model car.  Our late model rounded switches are still smooth black and differ from the textured ones others have shown.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL