News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Cleaning MB Tex

Started by CMS280SE, 25 October 2010, 02:42 AM

CMS280SE

Hi Guys,

Can anyone recommend a good, easy to use product for cleaning MB Tex interiors, particularly the seats and centre armrest? I don't think mine have been cleaned in 30 years and they are starting to look a bit shabby with the windows down and sun shining on them!

Chris

TJ 450

I've used Armor All cleaner to remove the serious filth, then a cloth damp with soapy water followed by a chamois...

Once clean, all you need to do is vacuum and wipe it with a damp chamois for upkeep... That's how I do it anyway (I fitted MB Tex seats to my 6.9).

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Squiggle Dog

I use Simple Green or L.A.'s Totally Awesome to clean with. Then, to shine, moisten, and protect against UV rays I use 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's recommended by many Mercedes enthusiasts for plastic, vinyl, and rubber parts. The shine lasts for months and it doesn't leave nasty silicone over everything. It's a bit pricey, but you definitely get what you pay for and more. http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/65/303-aerospace-protectant.cfm
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

mrkozzy

Thought I'd piggy back onto this old topic.
Had reason to clean my MB-Tex interior recently.

In a standard garden bucket i dropped about 1/3 of a bottle of cream cleanser (100ml or so).

"Jiff"  brand  or any neutral cream cleanser will do. 

I added 1-2 litres of warm water, mixed it up and made a watery compound.

Using copious amounts I sponged the MB-Tex down with the solution leaving it very wet. MB- Tex doesnt mind getting wet.

Scrubbed the surface with a medium and a small SOFT bristled nail brush.  Wipe of residue with a wet cloth and repeat.

After the 2nd attempt you need to rinse the MB- Tex with lots of clear water using a wet rag. Otherwise it dries like a white powdery haze. (Which can be wiped off if need be.) 

1st photo shows the cleaned back of the rear seat on the right of the photo. In the same photo is the yet to be cleaned rear bottom seat part.  Notice the difference in color tones and this from a seat thats hardly ever used.

The 2nd pic shows the result after cleaning my front passenger door.

And yes,  it's as good as it looks, even better in real life. 

Whole interior took me 90 minutes using this method.  Great smell also.
MrKozzy

Howard60

Yes I have been using Jif (or Cif as it is now called in the UK for some reason) on my cream MB Tex interior.
Also not been cleaned for decades, with a previous owner an obvious heavy smoker.
It worked better than any of the Vinyl cleaning or car upholstery products designed specifically for the job.
I used it neat on some of the heavily soiled parts, but be careful as it can bleach fabrics so watch your carpets!
Previously: 280ce W123, 450slc C107, 350se W116, 230e W123, 250ce W114