News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Clean Carpert Capers

Started by 116Benz, 28 December 2007, 09:19 AM

116Benz

Another update on the antics of the white SEL. After having the floor mats cleaned by a carpet cleaner, I tackled the rest with a brush and some spray on foam. Came up a treat, and got rid of some stains that hadnt quite moved properly as well. Big difference huh?

(before)


(after)


And the oblig. glamour shot....



s class

Well done! that must be very rewarding.  THe green interior is way cool. 


[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

116Benz

It's growing on me more than the GT stripes are. ;D

Mforcer

 :o :o :o

I can't believe that is the same carpet! What was on that carpet before you cleaned it?
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

116Benz

By smell alone, there was coke (the soft drink, not the drug), chocolate, sour flavoured milk, booze (rum/beer), mud + a few others. The roof lining I was the most proud of, it looked like a bottle of coke had exploded, it all scrubbed off with a brush and some convertible top cleaner.

gberger

That crazy carpet foam you used seems to have moved the steering wheel and instrument cluster!!!!

Wow, strong stuff

I am the proud owner of a 1980 300 SD Turbo Diesel W116.  I found the vehicle in Palm Desert California in 2006.  I have gradually restored the vehicle mechanically and appearance wise back to original OEM.

116Benz

Quote from: gberger on 30 December 2007, 01:12 PM
That crazy carpet foam you used seems to have moved the steering wheel and instrument cluster!!!!

Wow, strong stuff



Oh yes, it's strong stuff.

john skene

If you take the carpets out you can really scrub them then run fresh water through / over them from a hose and they will clean up very nicely.

116Benz

Quote from: john skene on 30 December 2007, 07:32 PM
If you take the carpets out you can really scrub them then run fresh water through / over them from a hose and they will clean up very nicely.

Another one I heard was sunlight soap and water with a scrubbing brush as well. didnt try that one but, the back carpet that sits under the back seat base is grubby, so it might be worth a shot.

Brian Crump

A couple of years ago I bought a wet and dry vac with an uphostery head and that works wonders for hard to reach places. The main problem with cleaning carpet is that you can scrub it but it's hard then to extract the water and dirt - hence the wet/dry vac. it was only a cheap one but it is great. You can also hire them from supermarkets but make sure you get the upholstery head if you hire one.
I still swear by Martha Garder wool wash for carpet cleaning - especially with some extra eucalyptus oil added for the dirty spots.
One of my pet hates is dirty cars. Ever get into a car and have to shove the crisp wrappers and coke bottles to one side? - And then there's the ashtray. Bleachhhhh. :(
Regards,
BC

116Benz

Thats OK BC, the white one had both back ashtrays full, front ashtray was semi empty, under the carpets was tops off Pillsner (heaps of them) some Maccas drinking straws, OJ bottle lids and empty bottles, chewing gum wrappers, about $5 in change around the car, Mars bar wrappers, Red Rooster vouchers, oh and some colouring in pencils. Thats just from memory.

Brian Crump

Quote from: 116Benz on 30 December 2007, 08:29 PM
Thats OK BC, the white one had both back ashtrays full, front ashtray was semi empty, under the carpets was tops off Pillsner (heaps of them) some Maccas drinking straws, OJ bottle lids and empty bottles, chewing gum wrappers, about $5 in change around the car, Mars bar wrappers, Red Rooster vouchers, oh and some colouring in pencils. Thats just from memory.

Under the over-rugs of the Spirit I found dried blood and broken glass - not from the car - it looked more like a drinking glass!! And that was after it had been professionally detailed. The mond boggles!!! I sometimes wonder about the lives our cars have lead. If only the capets could talk!!
Regards,
BC

116Benz

Last words spoken in the back of the car "dear, I think theres something wrong with the sherry glasses...and my pinky finger"