News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Chrome Wheel Arch Trims

Started by WGB, 20 January 2007, 08:09 AM

WGB

Hi All,

I don't know if this has been discussed before but would appreciate others views on Chrome Wheel Arch Trims.

My 450SEL is Silbergrun with painted hubcaps and as I am repainting the car I have decided to leave the previously fitted wheel arch trims off when finished.

My logic is that while they look stunning on dark coloured cars the lighter coloured cars don't provide the same contrast and the shiny painted hubcaps give sufficient "Sparkle". The trims are often fitted to disguise rust - particularly in the rear wheel arches trailing edges - and a clean car without them always looks more "honest".

They were never seen on the cars that I saw when the model was new and like the 126 that followed seemed to be added as the car aged - often along with the wheels of later models presumably in an effort to modernise the appearance.

I may change my mind when I see final product but have prepared the car so that no holes remain.

Bill

Tomi

My personal opinion is: leave them out. never have liked them. they are used also in w123 and w124 cars to hide rust. Looks much better without them.

oscar

Definitely a matter of personal choice, I prefer them.  Even on my white 350, true it doesn't contrast but it does add to the shiny bits.  I got stainless steel ones early last year and when I stood back after fitting them I thought wow!   But since the SS ones scratch with a thumbnail and were poorly fitting, I have since bought a set of real chrome arches.  They still look good but the quality of the heavier copper/brass chromed ones are so much better.  But they're packed away until I get a repaint. 

This isn't to say I don't like a w116 without them, it's not the first thing I see in a 116.  Of the handful of members cars I've seen in the flesh, I'd have to look back at photos to say who has them and who doesn't.  I think they look good on 107, 108/9, 116 and even 126's look schmick with them.  I wouldn't bother with them after that.  There's a cut-off either side of those IMO.

Regarding the rust.  Although they may hide it, I wonder how often they cause it. 
In my car there was no rust there before and I've taken the arches off twice to clean the unbelievable amount of dirt that gets trapped underneath them despite the rubber seal.  I've also been concerned that the drilled holes may start to rust so I'm vigilant in that respect.

Speaking of contrast, the best looking arches IMO are on a black Grosser.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

Des

I agree about them coming down to personal choice, mine had them when I got it, didn't realize at the time they weren't a factory job, even if it didn't have them I would have put them on, I guess I love chrome. maintains and enhances that "classic not plastic" look in my opinion.

I am going to replace the rubbish plastic door sills with metal ones soon, like the ones Chris has,

mirafioriman

I have them fitted to my W126. I fitted them with clips to avoid drilling holes. I also used waxoyl (plenty of it!) on the rear of the trim and the arch before fitting. I happen to like them, but it is as nearly always a matter of personals taste. My car is silver so they do not stand out, but do in my opinion offer a little understated bling!
I'm called Dave! I currently own: Mercedes W116 450 SEL 6.9, Mercedes W109 300 SEL 6.3, Mercedes W126 420 SEL, Fiat 130 Berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta and a Citroen Xantia.

Brian Crump

I have to admit I am a sucker for chrome - I love it!!! Real chrome has depth and shine that stainless stell just can't maintain over the years. However, I have not got chromed wheel arches simply beacuse I also want to maintain the originality of the car as much as is practical - and that is simply a personal choice. Black and chrome is a classic combination but white and chrome also looks every inch a style classic too.
What colour is sivergrun? Is that thistle green? Mine is thistle green and I always think of digging out thistles in the hot sun some decades ago...and hate the name but like the colour.
Regards,
Brian

WGB

Silbergrun translates as Silvery Green and is much lighter than Thistle Green.

Over the years the car had faded to a slightly green Version of silver but the new (Original) colour is much greener than what remained  on the visible surfaces of the car. If it was not for my need for originality I would have changed it to Thistle Green - my preferred favourite 116 colour.

In the seventies a Farmer friend of mine in New Zealand sold his yellow 450SE with brown leather trim for a 280 SEL in Thistle Green with a green interior with cloth seats. Another friend had a light blue metallic 450SEL with Dark Blue Velour interior.

The Thistle Green and the Blue metallic were both stunning standout colours at the time (Although Blue was far more common on other cars at the time).

Also when drilling wheelarches for trim or mudflaps I either use the silicone coated self tappers or put a squirt of silicon on the screw threads and in the hole before tightening. The shiny steel stays shiny in the hole forever with no rust in the screw hole - not to say that the the trim itself doesn't start rust by trapping mud, water etc.

Bill

Bill

Martin 280s

I have chrome trims on my car and I think they are the biz. However, over here they are not popular. Take a look at my memeber's album and see for yourself! Some people say the trims are great for creating rust pockets, I don't know as I had the car repainted then the trims retrofitted using stainless screws. But, I my opinion dark cars and chrome trims - light cars no trim.

Brian Crump

Styria - I am heartened to hear you say that Thistle Green is probably not a 116 colour.
The handbook for my 450SE has Silver Green written in it in ink (real fountain pen - not a Baron Le Bic imitation...) but I have always thought it was TG despite it being different from the 230E which was a TG and darker. I concluded it was TG cos someone in the Club told me and I believed him.....silly me.
Styria - you have MADE my day!!!! ;D
Made it even more that a straight Campari on ice (with a peice of orange)....now that's good rocket fuel and it's the colour Super Petrol used to be years ago.... ::)
BC

WGB

Silver Green Metallic is paint code 861 and in the colour code library has a grey colour next to it (Not correct).

The colour I know as Thistle green is listed as Paint code 881 Thistle Green Metallic- and according to the library was only used in the 1980 model year. It was considerably darker than Silver Green and was a definite mid-green metallic - does not look at all like the paint chip in the library which is more the Silver Green shade.

The car that it was supposedly on was purchased by a friend of mine as a near new 280SEL in about 1981 and I remember that the 126 had already been released at that stage and was wondering why he bought the old model at the time. The colour always struck me as perfect for the car which is why I remember the name of the colour so clearly - Thistle Green.

He sold it about a year later and bought a 380SE in a colour more like Silver Green.

Bill

WGB

Nothing worse than doubts - I will see if I can find out anything more about thistle green.

Mercedes Enthusiast have had pictorials with the same colour as I thought was Thistle Green - I'll go through some back issues.

Nothing worse than a 25+ year misconception.

I might have to get a small tin mixed up if the worst comes to the worst.

Bill