News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

CHARLIE´s W116, 1977 Mercedes Benz 450 SEL

Started by Charlie, 25 April 2010, 05:12 AM

Bulba

That is truly one of the most beautiful 116s i have ever seen. Damn i regret selling mine so bad, my next car is definitely going to be a 450. Take good care of it!

Victor

toxonix

My '78 280SE has EXACTLY the same problems this one did. The sunroof drain pipes channel water into the wrong places, and previous body repairs have started to show. I've found new sheet metal and welds rusting through in places I'd never imagined when I first looked at the thing. When this one was fixed, nobody had or bothered with weld-through primers and other contact corrosion inhibitors.
Is there a solution for the sunroof drains? I want to replace the drain pipes and direct them out to the rear of the wheel well, so the water just drains directly onto the street instead of into the body and through the body drain holes in the channels. On mine, the drain areas were full of algae.

Charlie

s class

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

jjb-w116-hu

yes that is STUNNING indeed! could you possibly tell me what the lowering/wheel/tyre combination is? i've never liked the way my rear wheel arches dont really look like they're filled in by the wheels/tyres. mine's just a 280S 1980 but assume the arches are still the same?

thanks heaps James

Charlie

I use the classic Michelin Pilot SX MXX3 225/50-16 and 245/45-16. They are mounted on original BBS RS 9x16 in front and 10,5x16 in back. I have changed to 10x16 in front a few weeks ago. That gives me 3,5" ring in front rims, and 4" ring in back rims  :)

Here is a picture of my old and my new rings for the front rims;

..and now the wheels in front looks like this:

Mforcer

I think those are the best looking wheels. Its handy having the good quality 3 piece too.

Did you need to roll your arches to fit these tires?
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

tlack

Those look fantastic! Your car, overall, is very well put together and leaves my messy black 6.9 feeling very self conscious.

What were the offsets on the wheels?

Charlie

The offsett was original ET11 when rims was 8 + 9 x 16. I dont remember the correct offset now, but I know its negative ;D

Here is a picture of my car taken today:

Casey

Charlie,

I'm very interested in doing something similar for my grill, which needs repaired/replaced anyways.  I wonder, what did you have to do to get paint applied to the gridwork?  Is there a special primer for the material and then just the same paint as used for the car?

I'm not sure how well it would look with ivory paint, but I think it's worth a go.  And I definitely *LOVE* the 7 bars instead of 3.  Yours looks fantastic.

And well, the rest of the car does too, but that probably goes without saying.

Charlie

Quote from: Raptelan on 04 May 2011, 08:35 PM
Charlie,

I'm very interested in doing something similar for my grill, which needs repaired/replaced anyways.  I wonder, what did you have to do to get paint applied to the gridwork?  Is there a special primer for the material and then just the same paint as used for the car?

Take a look in this thread;
http://www.mbentusiastklubb.com/smf/index.php?topic=17175.0

vlv8vic

My grille paint has held up alright, plastic primer and black.
Been meaning to get extra strips like Charlie's for some time, they look unreal.

Casey

Hey Charlie,

Could you give me contact information for RA Upholstery?  Some day, I want to redo my interior with leather as you have - it's incredible!

Charlie

Quote from: Raptelan on 11 May 2011, 07:38 PM
Hey Charlie,

Could you give me contact information for RA Upholstery?  Some day, I want to redo my interior with leather as you have - it's incredible!

Hi Raptelan!! Try this link, and you will find all contact info´s:
http://www.ra-mobeltapetsering.no/

jjb-w116-hu

Charlie how did you attach the extra chrome horizontal strips pal?