News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

center driveshaft support bearing

Started by 1980sdga, 29 May 2011, 07:15 PM

1980sdga

Has anyone done this repair?  I only looked at mine long enough to see that the rubber around it is shot.

I'm out of town now.

WGB

The one on my car had been replaced so I just put it back with new rubber flex joints when I rebuilt the rear end.

Not sure it's a difficult job but you will need to remove the exhaust system and  have spanners big enough to undo the locking gland nut (46 and 41mm or big enough pipe spanners of some kind) and mark the assembly so it goes back on the correct splines so there is no vibration issue.

While you are there the flex rings and rear gearbox mount should be checked as well as the rear gearbox oil seal.

Bill

1980sdga

Thanks Bill. I'd like to go ahead and change the flex joints but if they look OK I'm gonna run with them. If not I'll just have to wait 'till payday to get parts.  I'm still confused about how the bearing goes around the driveshaft but I guess I'll figure it out when I get in there...

Jon

TJ 450

You can get way with not removing the exhaust, but you will have to remove the whole driveshaft as a unit,  taking care not to pull apart the halves until they are clearly marked... They are balanced as a unit as far as I am aware. I have always found the clamping nut accessable with a large shifting spanner... using the park lock to counterhold. 8) You don't want to clamp it too tightly though, as the spline should slide IMO, that's what it's there for afterall.

I used a two jaw puller to remove the bearing, but the new one should just slide on with some grease and a bit of assistance (poly pipe as a mandrel)... you want pressure on the inner race preferably.

The rubber carrier just presses on with firm hand pressure and a bit of lubricant, such as Vaseline etc.

This job makes a huge difference, along with engine and trans mounts... Driveline vibration should be non existant if all is in order.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

koan

Quote from: 1980sdga on 29 May 2011, 07:15 PM
Has anyone done this repair?  I only looked at mine long enough to see that the rubber around it is shot.

I've done it, don't think it can be done without removing exhaust, suppose it depends on how big the pipes are though. Hand brake mechanism is in the way too.

Book says the joint should be tightened with the car on it's wheels.

autohausz supplied part comes with centre bearing in carrier.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

jjb-w116-hu

Joe  - is this something that should be done at the same time as the other suspension parts you mentioned?

thks JJB

TJ 450

It was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure I just slid it out the back between the hand brake cables... It might not be possible on an SD though, or a US model, I'm not sure. I left the front flex disc on the transmission, as it's a tight squeeze otherwise.

It does make life a lot easier with the exhaust removed though. ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500