News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Carpet centre console

Started by marku, 22 August 2019, 12:54 PM

marku

Any one tried replacing the carpet on the sides of the centre consul? Be interested to hear if any one had any success.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

marku

Does look as though it will come out with a bit of persuading. Not really glued in and parts easily from the substrate. The only difficulty is where it goes under the vinyl trim of the console. Always been keen on originality but two factors are prompting this work. First the carpet is in a really poor state in parts and secondly I am not that keen on the original colour, its a bit lurid an orange brown, so it is to be replaced with a colour that is more like the seats.

ptashek

Quote from: marku on 22 August 2019, 12:54 PM
Any one tried replacing the carpet on the sides of the centre consul? Be interested to hear if any one had any success.

I did. It's glued at the top to the console and will come off easily. I had my replacements from cabrio.de along with the full carpet set.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

marku

Thank you very much for that information.

ptashek

This is what that piece of carpet looks like when detached. This below comes from the pattern file I got from cabrio.de (can't share the full thing sadly), and which is the exact pattern they use to CNC cut the carpets in their shop. I'd say it was a 99% fit. The other 1% is simply due to the vinyl shrinking and hardening over time, and not being exactly where it was when factory fresh.

marku

Thanks that certainly gives more detail of the profile. Not quite as easy getting it off as I assumed from your post. Both are now off and I was surprised how much support the carpet provides to the sides of the console. The substrate is very thin in parts, what is it made from? Looks like urethane foam and I was trying to imagine just how it was put together. Did think at the beginning that it was not going to come off at all without damaging the substrate as the area was totally covered with adhesive and double sided tape. Often been surprised with the 116 that some things are not really very robust or even well thought out. I realise that it is heresy to say so but it does seem to be a fact. Look at the carpet it is very roughly cut out and not edged, except where it is seen, unlike its modern equivalents. I think you said you remade the parcel shelf/hat rack and the opening for the first aid kit. Any chance of sharing that?

ptashek

It is urethane foam indeed.

The parcel shelf cover was custom made from raw carpet, butI have no pics from the process. I can add some close-ups of how it looks on the car. The piping around the aid kit ain't stellar, but good enough for me.

marku

Didn't you post a photo of the parcel shelf in your restoration coverage? I am having to literally start from scratch as the previous owner cannibalised the metal shelf and cover to fit over large speakers. Be interested to see how you did it. The console sides, were they out of raw carpet and if so how did you replace the edging. The original is very rigid. Can't think that it comes away from its backing after only a cursory investigation. Any help very much appreciated.

ptashek

I'm pretty sure I have some pics of it being made in the main resto archive, but no detailed documentation on how the guys went about it.
It's made of 3mm plywood MDF, with a foam backed carpet glued on top, and 5mm 8mm of sound proofing foam on the bottom - that's as much as I know :)

Here's a close-up of the piping.

Edit: that's the only other pic I've found

There's a bit more details in my write-up on the custom speaker pods: https://zv9485.wordpress.com/2017/09/09/installing-rear-speakers/

As for the console, the entire trim job was sub-contracted by my restorer. Sadly I've no detailed archive of how these guys went on about putting everything together from the pre-cut patterns, bar some pics from the re-assembly process that just happen to include the new trim. The bottom edging is made from the same vinyl material as on the rear parcel shelf. This is how it all looks on the car:

marku

Thanks for that. It all looks very good - full marks. Is under the dash also carpeted? Admittedly it is an improvement if so.

ptashek

Quote from: marku on 04 September 2019, 10:26 AM
Thanks for that. It all looks very good - full marks. Is under the dash also carpeted?

It is, yes. The panels were carpeted from factory.

marku

Is that standard mine never were?

ptashek

Quote from: marku on 05 September 2019, 01:25 PM
Is that standard mine never were?

I'm pretty certain it was standard on late production models, regardless of base interior type.
There's plenty of examples on http://www.meinbenz.de/polster/116/polster116.htm

The 1977 350SE had parchment leather, and bare plastic panels in same colour.
The 450SE is mid-1979, velours interior from factory with matching carpet on the panels (under dash, and side kick-panels).

floyd111

Have been wondering about this one as well.
I have both carpeted and non-carpeted , all 3 cars are from after 76. 2.8L
Must say that they might have been modified along the way.. Who knows.

marku

It does look very much better than the general spartan look of mine. As I have now compromised by commitment to originality I am seriously think of doing it. Always thought the 116 that given its cost it did not really have the "luxury" look as its contemporaries.