News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Bundt rims

Started by zedster, 01 March 2009, 12:59 AM

zedster

I recently purchased 4 refinished 14 inch bundt rims that are 6x14. An old rim of mine is in the upper right for comparison.

Come to find out the ones I had on my car are 6.5x14. You can see the difference here:

Will this make any difference or will the 205/70/R14 tires I have not work on these rims?
1979 450 SEL "Spinne Blaue"

Big_Richard

according to the library, the 6 cylinder models (and diesel) had the 6" width rims, while the v8's had the 6.5's (including 6.9)

What car have you got ?

They will likley fit, but they are incorrect if you have a v8

zedster

I have a 1979 450 SEL

I bought them of eBay:
eBay Auction

I contacted the seller and he replied saying:

Bill, as I stated in my auction, the wheels came off a 450sel. But, because there were several types of wheel fitted to 450sel's, I made sure to be very specific and stated the width of each wheel in inches, and the offset. It's clearly stated on the auction page that these are 6x14 wheel.   

However, I just checked the auction page, and in the 'Item Specifics', I accidentally put 6.5x14. The reason for this is that I used the auction 'template' from my other wider set of wheels that I previously sold to list this set. Sorry for the confusion. These are in fact 6 inch wheels, not 6.5". However you can still install the tires from your 6.5" wheels onto them. I did put 6x14 in the subtitle and in the item description, the only place it says 6.5 is in the item specifics.

Big_Richard

My EPC isn't working today for some reason so i cant definitively say weather or not the 6" rims were ever fitted to 450's. Perhaps someone else will know.

oscar

205/70/14 tyres will easily fit 6" wide wheels.  If in doubt go to your tyre manufacturer's website and look for tech specs of the tyre.  You'll usually find recommended rim widths which for that size tyre would be around 5-7".   If the manufacturer doesn't give you enough details go to www.tirerack.com  They've got the detailed specs of loads of tyres......and tires ;D

For example, here's michelin's advice for some 70 series tyres

size            load   speed         Rim Width
                                    min  optimum  max
175/70R14     84     H       4.5      5.0      6.0 
205/70R14     98     H       5.0      6.0      7.0 
205/70R15     95     H       5.0      6.0      7.0 

1973 350SE, my first & fave

John Hubertz

The performance difference and appearance would only be noticeable to someone who had an electron microscope instead of trousers - as "seat of the pants" will be identical -

AND

...no chance of curb rash - or a much reduced chance.
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

zedster

Ok I found these near where I live and I am going to go get them tomorrow:

Mercedes Benz chrome wheels

Did the 450 SEL ever come with chrome bundt wheels?

Big_Richard

Quote from: zedster on 08 March 2009, 02:27 AM
Ok I found these near where I live and I am going to go get them tomorrow:

Mercedes Benz chrome wheels

Did the 450 SEL ever come with chrome bundt wheels?

aluminium cant be chromed in traditional methods, long story short, it looks great, but the chrome can peel off like thick paint when damaged.

oscar

It'd be good to know who and how they were done.  They do look great, I'd love a set.  If I had the $ I'd import some from LA Wheel and Tire.  Haven't looked at them for ages but looking them up now they've got 15 x 7 chrome bundts as well as 14's.  They used to have prices (around $1kUS per set from memory) but gee they look good. 8)c  At $250 these 2nd hand ones are great value, I hope they check out ok.  http://www.lawheel.com/catalog/mercedes/

zedster

I thought at one time LA Wheel and Tire would give you some money back once you sent your rims back to them. Maybe it was someone else??

14" Mercedes Chrome Wheels Rims

Lug Bolts

samuli

I recently mounted 215/70-14 tires on 6" rims. They fit nicely without any problems. Appearance is great, they don't even look too big.

zedster

I picked up the 4 chrome wheels. 2 of them are in real good shape and the other two are okay. I will try and post pictures.

oscar

You've seen LAwheel&tire before.  Yeah that was them, you could trade in or buy outright.  I didn't realise they still did ebay.  My ebay search skills are slipping.

This two good rims, two ok - is it just cleaning issues like more brake dust on the two that might have been on the front rather than damage?  I hope it's just brake dust and grime. 

zedster

Quote from: oscar on 09 March 2009, 07:59 PM

This two good rims, two ok - is it just cleaning issues like more brake dust on the two that might have been on the front rather than damage?  I hope it's just brake dust and grime. 

Looks almost like pits in the chrome. On the inside of the rim they say: 6 1/2Jx14H2 1084001002

Here is the group:

The best rim:

The worst rim:

oscar

Zed, they look great, congrats. 

Sure I can see that pitting now and I suppose it could be rechromed but if it were me it'd be a very long time before I'd consider refurbishing them. They look really good, well done.