News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

bumper rubber strip

Started by marku, 06 August 2019, 11:21 AM

marku

Is there an easy way of fitting this? Obviously it has hardened up with age but it came off very easily. Different matter to replace it though. This is where some one tells me there is a special tool for it.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof

rumb

Start with one end in it's slot and then bend the rubber back about 90 degrees and the two edges will open up and you can roll it onto the bumper.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Randys01

use aerosol silicon spray liberally after you have allowed the rubber strip to sit in the sun [if you have any] to make it a bit more pliable.
Make sure you put it back the way it came out and don't inadvertently flip it over.

marku

Quote from: rumb on 06 August 2019, 01:36 PM
Start with one end in it's slot and then bend the rubber back about 90 degrees and the two edges will open up and you can roll it onto the bumper.

Very good advice didn't think of that. What I ended up doing was fitting the top and then flexing the bottom of the strip out to open the strip which worked but required some strength. I did try coating with silicon but that also required some effort. All on now although it is a little short at one end.
1974 450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof