News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Best CD player for this car?

Started by Andrew280SEL, 15 July 2006, 03:45 AM

cipha

Again I suggest that the 'best' is very much dependant upon ones requirements and also personal taste.

As for a Price based decision, one can see that the new 'retro' Becker is an attempt to suit the design / style / tastes of the early 70's when the W116 was designed.  I am not sure that it is good 'value for money' at  £1,099.99, but it can have an i-Pod interface.

Come to think of it, many 'font ends' have a standard mini banana plug input socket.  This way you can plug in that i-Pod or other MP3 device and drive round the world and never have to listen to the same song twice.

Have a look at the Becker:
www.caraudiodiscount.com/acatalog/becker_mexico_7948.html

oscar

Nutz, gotta admit to thinking you were swearing in a foreign tongue when you said Nakamichi !! , I'd never heard of them.  But here's some pics of an Alex Minassian Nakamichi install in a 450 sel.    Actually a closer inspection and I'm wondering whether it is a heavily customised 450sel or whether its a w126.  There's a fourth pic on the weblink that shows a w126 instrument display.  Perhaps it's a 420sel.  Regardless, I love what he's done to the parcel shelf.  It gives one ideas!

1973 350SE, my first & fave

Andrew280SEL

well...uh...i dont know where to start! I'll have to have a big think on all this. Ill think about it and will let you know the results. Cheers
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

alabbasi

So is the ipod connected to the radio or to the amp directly? Is there a switch to switch from the radio to the ipod? I would love to hear more about this solution

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 15 July 2006, 03:45 AM
Hey guys

I'm looking to put a CD player in my car (280SEL) and I was wondering what ones in particular you would recommend. I want one that would look flush with the console, i.e not some green and yellow flashing techno mini-disco unit thats gonna look out of place.

I guess some of you would have units already installed in your machines that you are happy with, but these cars seem to come with many different styled interiors.
Mine has the wooden finish throughout, even the console (dont think its the real thing of course) Im quite new to some of this so forgive me if i sound a bit stupid.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

AMG69

Al, good pick up (switch). Yes, I need a switch to alter between iPOD and radio cassette.  I frowned at the chrome toggle switch I was provided for this purpose and set about finding someting from MB. I ended up finding what I needed - an "On - Off" switch for a W123 air conditioner compressor.  It fits perfectly in the W116 dash next to (in my car) SUnroof, Interior light and rear demist switches.  I was lucky my car had that spare spot.  So, problem solved and (in my view) quite cleverly!  The iPOD is hardwired directly to my new AMP.  As soon as I get the car back I'll post photos.  Thye body shop guys are still trying to fix a leak!
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

oscar

AMG69, great idea.  My current switch setup has the solitary rear light switch.  Such is the refinement of an early 116. 

Now I've got a zebrano a/c console from Styria with three holes punched for switches, my thoughts have turned to what I can fit them with.  Plus I bet four switches look better than three so I've got to find more switches and functions they can do. I'm thinking rear light, antenna (manual at the moment), iPod and what else.  Oil slick or smoke screen perhaps.  I'm open for suggestions on the fourth switch.

Yes it's photoshopped but here's the switch you need.

AMG69

Oscar, I think all Australian 6.9's had the fan fare (dual tone) horn...that can be switch 4!

sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

oscar

Hopefully there'll be a few fanfare horns at the Sydney drive weekend.  I don't know what they are.  I thought I had them just because I have two.  There's one horn either side of the radiator.  Are Town and Country horns the same thing?

cipha

re:  But here's some pics of an Alex Minassian Nakamichi install in a 450 sel.    Actually a closer inspection and I'm wondering whether it is a heavily customised 450sel or whether its a w126.  There's a fourth pic on the weblink that shows a w126 instrument display.  Perhaps it's a 420sel.  Regardless, I love what he's done to the parcel shelf.  It gives one ideas!

This is definitely NOT a W116 - just look at the rear seat belt holders on top oof the parcel shelf.  That and the 'flat' leather, makes me suspicious of it being a 126.

Andrew280SEL

Well I ended up getting the Clarion DB166. I'll probably get other Benz enthusiasts crash through my window in SWAT outfits for my choice :), but I did feel it looked rather good for modern 2006 cd player in that it fit my aforementioned description. It even has a rotary volume dial. It's certainly not retro like the Beckers or anything but Im happy with it.
Thanks everyone.  :D http://clarion.com/au/en/products/2006/audio/source_units/cd/DB166/au-en-product-pf_1139306870333.html
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9