News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Best CD player for this car?

Started by Andrew280SEL, 15 July 2006, 03:45 AM

Andrew280SEL

Hey guys

I'm looking to put a CD player in my car (280SEL) and I was wondering what ones in particular you would recommend. I want one that would look flush with the console, i.e not some green and yellow flashing techno mini-disco unit thats gonna look out of place.

I guess some of you would have units already installed in your machines that you are happy with, but these cars seem to come with many different styled interiors.
Mine has the wooden finish throughout, even the console (dont think its the real thing of course) Im quite new to some of this so forgive me if i sound a bit stupid.
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

AMG69

Andrew, I spent ages on this decision. I ended up with intalling an original Becker Mexico Casette Stereo, a new Alpine AMP (200W), new speakers incl tweeters discreetly located on teh dash (in the corners) and most importantly an iPOD connector which comes up thru the centre console (hidden by the carpet when not in use!).  I own a new 60G video iPOD.  This way I have about 10,000 CD's in my car at all times!!!  Total cost was about $800 Aussie.  Just an alternative to think about!
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

oscar

Hi Andrew,

I'm with ChrisM on this one.  What have you got in there at the moment?  Even though any modern unit will fit into the console, these older Becker units (although no cd) look the part and you can wire up accessories like ipods or disc changers to the Aux in or amp if you're putting one in. 

Everything seems multicoloured LED and disco lights but if you still want a wood grained fascia, there are some out there but I can't remember off hand which brands.  If noone else knows try popping the question here http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/index.php
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Nutz

Nakamichi !! 8) No flashing lights,has a retro appearance and hardcore performance. An entry level will run you about $250 (US) or top of the line $1200 (US). The sound that pours out these is pure bliss if the speakers are upgraded of course.  ;)

BAR

SO far no-one has suggested a CD player!

As far as sound quality and performance: 'best' is a measure of budget.

Best and most compatible result - go for a boot [or under seat] mounted CD stacker.  As for head unit money will find a neat solution that you can live with.  Modern player all use backlit displays, etc.  Not the same as out vintage units.

So if you want go and buy the new Becker Vintage series to work with your car.  Spend enough and it will be worth the same as your car - if it is that important to you.

Elsewise, go and do what has been suggested - and spend a few dollars on an i-Pod or iPod mini to plug into the amp.

Nutz

Denis

Hello fellows

My opinion : the standard Beckers radios, IMHO, with their pinstripe designs and heavy chrome DO NOT look the part in a W116 interior : nothing is that chromed elsewhere and the pinstripe is an odd design. It DOES fit a W109/109 with chrome instrument rings and the pinstripe design in the gauges.

The W116 needs a sedate-looking, squarish design with lighting that goes wth the orange backlit cluster.

I entirely support the option proposed by Nutz for these reasons :
- Nakamichi is known for quality audio
- the design and lighting is correct (see the picture provided by Nutz)
- the prices are proportional to your wallet

So IMHO, Nutz has the best idea to date !

Congrats dear Alaskan !

Denis

Paris, France

s class

Denis,
I agree with you.  I've been too nervous to comment on this up till now, but the old Beckers look like W113/W108 stuff to me.  My 107 has a becker ?monza? I think of early 80's vintage that looks good and would suit W116 as well. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

Quote from: s class on 17 July 2006, 03:15 AM
Denis,
I agree with you.  I've been too nervous to comment on this up till now,
Ryan

So you should be  :D just kidding.

Never hold back Ryan, better to have comments from all sides.  Each to their own and all that.  It's too easy to make mistakes by following the advice of too few.

BTW, although I completely disagree with you and Denis in the nicest possible manner regarding pinstriped Beckers, I'd never attack your views.  Especially since you're both too valuable for information down the track.  ;D ;)
Regards.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

editjunk

I've got a CD stacker in the boot of mine, and I hate it. I hate listening to the same CDs over and over again, I hate having to decide what I'll feel like listening to before gettting into the car, I hate having CDs out of their cases lying around the boot. I hate not being able to put on the music I want at precisely the right moment: are the kids in the car and wanting a bit of Mowgli and Baloo the Bear? Is wifey sleeping peacefully beside me, having drifted off listening to Beth Orton? Am I alone and wanting to scream punk rock classics at the top of my lungs? Who knows? My life is so full of variables that a six-stacker boot mounted CD holder simply doesn't stack up.

First $400 bucks I get that doesn't go on petrol I'm changing it.

AMG69

I'm sooooooooooooo with you!  Hence the iPOD. What an extraordinary piece of technology. 
I now have all of Julian's (age 3) Pixar videos on the iPOD too; (Toy Story 1 and 2, Cars, Finding Nemo etc etc!); I just need the rear video screens in the 6.9 now and I might even tackle the Nullabour Trip (Perth to Adelaide).....hmm......!!!!

AMG69

one other comment: the "pin stripe" edition was actually standard in early 6.9's and was then replaced by the all black updated Becker in about 1978 I think.
Here is a link on this site to a 1976 Test which clearly shows the old style chrome Becker Mexico Casette Stereo many of us have opted for.

http://www.w116.org/library.php?motor7610

s class

Chris M,

Thanks for providing some concrete evidence as to what radios are appropriate.  In the pics of that early 6.9 I see that is has a black vinyl centre console, and I admit that the early chrome becker looks much happier there than in cars with a wood console.  Just my 1-and-a-half cents worth. 

I consider myself outvoted.  Majority has it that the chrome/pinstripe becker suits.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

OzBenzHead

Well, Ryan - I'm with you.  I think the 60s style Beckers (stripes) look out of place in a 116 - especially fully wooded versions.  The all-black flat-button-no knobs Beckers are, to my eye, a more harmonious style for the 116.  Mine currently has an all-black, mostly push-button controls (just one small knob) and, apart from its ghastly green lighting that won't turn off, it "fits" by being rather unnoticeable.  (Pity it's dead in the sound department.  I must transfer my 11-speaker + amp (all Blaupunkt) system from the 108, as it's sitting there unappreciated.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Nutz

I just came across this link via another MB board and thought it may prove useful someday to those that are diehard Becker fans.  ;)

http://www.beckerautosound.com/beckerboard/