News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Becker Mexico

Started by koan, 09 February 2007, 09:01 AM

koan

My Becker Mexico stereo cassette radio has a cracked dial, does anyone know of a source for this part?

Failing that, does anyone have an expired, nonfunctional "pin stripe" radio they are willing to part with? The front panel is common to cassette and non-cassette versions.

I'm come up with a way to get an ipod and the like to play through the radio in stereo, I'll be testing it out in the next week or two. If it works I'll try to photo document the modification.

By the way, my tone and local/country controls point sideways, do yours?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

oscar

Did someone say Becker? :D

Can't help myself Koan, two words my wife uses as a prefix to get my attention is either "Mercedes" or "Becker"

For parts in Aus check soundlabs, they're in Melbourne too from memory.
Scroll down on this link http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/c/50-Becker-Accessories/Accessories.html

For a comprehensive list and pricing check out Koenigs shop in Germany
KNOBS click here
DIAL/Plates click here

These guys produce the ipod plug that either I or someone else linked in that other recent Becker thread.  Since Ive got parts to make up my own cord but don't know how to exactly, I'll be very interested to see what you come up with.

EDIT: I forgot to mention not all faceplates are the same, as you'll see on those links. Due to difference in some printing on the plate, the presence or absence of the "stereo" light, difference in FM range 106-108.  They probably do mostly fit, but I'm sure you'd want to get the same as the priginal for your radio.  Also I think your tone and country/local levers are normal.  I have a Monza but it's very similar and both levers have a rest spot out sideways then go up and down.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

koan

Quote from: oscar on 09 February 2007, 09:19 AM

Can't help myself Koan, two words my wife uses as a prefix to get my attention is either "Mercedes" or "Becker"

I'll remember that, what about "Air" and "Conditioning" ?

It's a case of  have a look before posting, both sites you mention, Soundlabs and Koenigs have the plate, as does Becker of North America.

I now see there are many subtle differences, thanks for pointing that out, I will now recheck the available plates.

My mod would look much like the one on the US Becker site, I was thinking of a 2.5 mm socket on the radio, it may need a small box in the lead containing a pad to drop the level.

Have you given the aerial trimmer a tweak? I got a considerable increase in AM sensitivity, probably aging of components and the coax affects the trimmer position.

From what I can see of the circuit and confirmed on the US Becker site, Mexico cassette radios are mono in on the rear TMA socket.

koan

(corrected error regarding location of socket shown on US Becker site)

oscar

Quote from: koan on 09 February 2007, 03:05 PM
Quote from: oscar on 09 February 2007, 09:19 AM

I'll remember that, what about "Air" and "Conditioning" ?

Hehe.  :D

How does next summer sound ???

I know.  But I've just got too many things on my plate and too many bills.  I still haven't paid for the cylinder and I've yet to buy a seal kit, ERG oil, vac pump, manifold gauge set, unsure about fittings too.  Still haven't paid for the 350's recent suspension work.

There's a picture of how close the HR12 got in my car.  ::) And my workspace has been swamped.  The 280 is in my backyard whilst the shed now resembles a crowded IKEA display room.  Plus the stress of rebuilding has only just begun.  Sorry to disappoint but the A/C has slipped to the bottom of the pile again.

Regarding the aerial trimmer on the Becker, not sure where that is.  Do you mean like a trimmer pot?  I'm not that good at electronics but I'll have a look for something similar connected to the aerial.

koan

Quote from: oscar on 10 February 2007, 07:25 AM

Regarding the aerial trimmer on the Becker, not sure where that is.  Do you mean like a trimmer pot?  I'm not that good at electronics but I'll have a look for something similar connected to the aerial.

It's quite a nice shed you have there, light, airy and spacious. I've dreamed of having a shed like that.

The aerial trimmer is accessable through the front panel, the little black pimple on the right hand side should pull out. The largest diameter flat screwdriver that will fit through the hole and inserted about 10 - 15 mm should find the slot in trimmer. Manually tune to a weak AM station at the top end of the band and adjust the trimmer for strongest signal and that's it. Mine was quite stiff to break loose and then moved OK. You might have two positions where the signal peaks, use either, they are identical. The trimmer is for AM only.

If the little black pimple won't  come out, pull off the knobs and remove the chrome part followed by the dial scale and you will see the screwdriver slot in the trimmer.

koan 

koan

Quote from: koan on 09 February 2007, 09:01 AM

My Becker Mexico stereo cassette radio has a cracked dial, does anyone know of a source for this part?

Collected one from Soundlabs in Melbourne today.

k

500eguy

Is the Becker Mexico OEM in all 116s?

oscar

Sort of.  There were lots of pinstriped Becker models, the Mexico being the top option.  The there were different Mexico's too; early ones may have had mono radio/stereo tape, the later ones had stereo radio and tape.  But Becker weren't the only brand.

AFAIK, in Australia at least, radios were dealer installed options, and any brand could've been substituted at the time.  But I have a gut feeling Mexico's were standard in 6.9's.  My 73 brochure gives a choice of Becker radios and also mentions the use of other Brands without naming any.

500eguy

i just took out a Becker Mexico from a breakers w123! i got it for free:) i took out the radio, and this silver box where the wires were connected. I will take pics of the unit. Will this just wire right up to my car? it is currently fitted with a generic tape radio from the 80's

koan

Quote from: styria on 19 February 2007, 12:44 AM

Unbeknown to the majority on this worthy forum, 6.9's were fitted with the highest quality Becker Mexicos available at that time-all black face, according to my Radio man. I will have one available-all rebuilt, perfect working order and steep price-only $345.00 (aaargh..!), but just think what a treasure it woulds be ! Anyone interested ?

I be interested to know the face plate number, it's visible below the volume knob when the chrome surround is pulled off.

Koan

Des

.....6.9's were fitted with the highest quality Becker Mexicos available at that time-all black face, according to my Radio man.

black face?

I thought they were supposed to look like this:

oscar

Quote from: Des on 19 February 2007, 02:42 AM
.....6.9's were fitted with the highest quality Becker Mexicos available at that time-all black face, according to my Radio man.

black face?

I think only the very late ones had black faces ie the last year or last few months of production, around 1980.

AMG69

Here it is - got some photos of the white 6.9 for sale in Adelaide; It looks very very good and genuine; It does have rare heated front and REAR seats too:

sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

Des

Chris. I had a 1982 W123 230E some time ago and that was the factory original radio in that car.

Des

See this article here:

http://www.astralsilber.de/becker/becker.htm

It would indicate I believe, that this style of radio was not introduced until October 1980