News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Becker Mexico tape deck fix

Started by daantjie, 27 December 2020, 12:43 PM

daantjie

Hi guys

Also been low on the list but seems time now to tackle my Becker Mexico "eating" tapes.  It does play but it ends up spooling out the tape leaving a huge mess of course.

Any tips on how to fix?  My car audio knowledge is non existent so...

I like the throwback quality of a tape deck but of course not really needed so if it is going to be a ball ache then I'll just leave it be.

Radio works perfectly BTW

Cheers
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Taha

Hi,

I don't have much knowledge about these complicated units either. A couple of months ago I bout a broken Mexico from eBay. Both the radio and cassette were bad. I couldn't do anything with the radio but after some cleaning, lubrication and changing the belts the cassette started working and the problems solved (not holding the cassette, jamming, slow playing). I don't know about your case but maybe it's not a bad idea to do the same thing like I did. I really can't guaranty it works for you  :) Make sure the smaller belt is not cracked. Check the photo below for the location.

Regards,
Taha

1978 280S

Flogrates

I got super keen to fix mine, looked at the diagrams same as the above posted one and totally shelved the idea. Hahahah

daantjie

Thanks yes I'm planning on changing the belt as well as a good clean.  These units are good old German overengineering at it's finest  :o
Cheers
Daniel

daantjie

Celebrating a small win, friends 8)  Some cleaning and a new drive belt, and I just happened to have "some Creedence tapes" handy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjBBDJ5OiT0

The Dude Abides 8)  Happy 2021!
Daniel

Flogrates

Quote from: daantjie on 03 January 2021, 04:50 PM
Celebrating a small win, friends 8)  Some cleaning and a new drive belt, and I just happened to have "some Creedence tapes" handy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjBBDJ5OiT0

The Dude Abides 8)  Happy 2021!

How long did it take / how hard was it ?

daantjie

Not bad, just takes time to pull it and get it on the bench, then you can clean at your leisure.  Mostly gunk and old sticky grease you need to swab off and then reapply some fresh grease of course.  I used computer duster spray and contact cleaner sparingly.  Then a thin smear of silicone dialectric  grease on moving parts.
Not perfect but much better ;)  maybe 2 hours, 3 hours tops.
Daniel

Flogrates

Quote from: daantjie on 03 January 2021, 05:33 PM
Not bad, just takes time to pull it and get it on the bench, then you can clean at your leisure.  Mostly gunk and old sticky grease you need to swab off and then reapply some fresh grease of course.  I used computer duster spray and contact cleaner sparingly.  Then a thin smear of silicone dialectic  grease on moving parts.
Not perfect but much better ;)  maybe 2 hours, 3 hours tops.

That doesn't sound to bad. I will add it to my list right down the very bottom LOL

JeffCullen

Nice work!  Mine spits tapes out, but does seem to work if I hold the tape in.  I ended up installing a bluetooth module and now don't really miss the tape, other than to fulfill the fantasy of going on a completely analogue drive.
1979 300SD #6680 - Astralsilber - 153,750km
1998 E300 Turbodiesel - Rauchsilber - 172,000km