News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Becker mexico radio install!

Started by 500eguy, 23 February 2007, 09:21 PM

500eguy

Hey guys, i am attempting at this very moment to install a Becker Mexico into my car. I need to know where the Becker connects to the speaker box, and where the box is located. Anyone have a idea?

500eguy

ok never mind... installed the becker mexico and it works perfectly!:)

oscar

Really!! Good to hear. :)

I would've chimed in earlier but my experience with beckers isn't with a mexico that has this separate amp box.  Most other beckers have built in amps.

How's the sound quality?  Did you replace speakers as well?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

500eguy

The aftermarket radio in there was Horrible, i installed the mexico in there with the amp box and it just sounds Superb!!! i am very happy, my only gripe is that there are no radio lights. Possibly a blow bulb in the radio? i will replace the speakers, any idea on where to get the right size speakers?

oscar

I got cheap sony's, they're alright but you get what you pay for.  Thy're rubbish really

Sizes are
Fronts 4"
Rear 6"  though I did have to rough out the rear holes for these particular sony's

There should be only one light in the tuner, easily replaced and available from any general auto parts store.  It's not a special item.
The stereo light on the other hand, I don't have that light so I'm not sure what that bulb is.

There's been a few good installs of which AMG69's mexico and jjccp's pioneer setups come to mind.  I can't find AMG69's particular thread and unfortunately jjccp's pics don't work but here's the link http://forum.w116.org/index.php/topic,558.0.html  Both of their pics I'm sure are in the garage section of the gallery.

500eguy

do you know where the bulb is located on the radio?

oscar

500eguy,

I'm at work at the moment so I haven't got access to my photos but I'll try and locate or take pics within the next 12hrs or so to show you were the globe is and how to get to it.  Pat's description is spot on.  I'd venture ahead if I were you to try and remove the faceplate before I or someone else gets back to you.  It shouldn't be too hard to figure out.  Just pull the knobs off and go from there. 

I can't remember exactly how to get the faceplate off but it was pretty easy.  The tuner globe is above the indicator in a holder, you cant miss it.

500eguy

i know how to get the faceplate off, when i installed the radio i had to re-wire the amp to power the radio. i will take it apart again to try and get to the bulb.