News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Becker Mexico - another Retro Model is coming for OZ!

Started by AMG69, 11 January 2007, 02:57 AM

AMG69

I asked BECKER in Australia if we would see this funky model sold Down Under. 

Here is their response:

Dear Chris,

It will not be sold in Australia due to several reasons, [V] including the fact there are no maps for navigation to suit this unit here and the mobile phone section is not approved for Australian use. also the web portal wont work. However Becker has indicated that later this year they will release a new model with the same appearance but as a normal car radio. At this stage we do not have any pricing nor an exact date. Stay tuned to our website.  [:)]

Best wishes,

Leon Gross
Soundlabs Group Pty Ltd
http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au
Ph. +61 2 4627-8766
Fax +61 2 4627-8799
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

Des

Excellent!

That is just what I need to replace the Clarion CD player for my 6.9

oscar

That's fantastic news.  All that other junk is unecessary for my needs.  I know it's a sophisticated unit, but I just want good sound with this modern retro facade.  I hope the price reflects the loss of features.  I've said before, give me the ability to hardwire an iPod in, plus AM/FM stereo radio and I'll be happy.  Surely there'd be a worldwide market for a downgraded version for people who want the same.  Look how many versions there were with different features of the original style. BECKER  Mexico, Monza, Europa I & II..... sugar! I've forgotten the rest.  I used to know them all...... Kurier, Grand Prix  :)  You get my point.

Thanks for the update!!

PS: we should start a petition to make sure it happens.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Des

Oscar is there any advantage in hard wiring an ipod in as opposed to using an FM transmitter into your existing car audio system?

WGB

Sound quality is much better with hardwiring and some systems allow the head-unit to control the ipod so that it can be left hidden in the glovebox.

As well - some systems  eg the new M-B system charge the ipod while connected.

Bill

oscar

True!

We have two transmitters.  Ones a belkin brand, the other griffin.  Both usually have a small amount of hum in the background and occasionally even on a 2 hour trip we'll get interference and have to swap channels.  There was a European ebayer, I think German that sells a din 5 & 6 pin plug for the aux connection on the back of old Beckers.  I can't remember whether it charges the iPod or is sheilded as well, but at around $70AUD approx for this piece of wire, you'd hope so.  Even a cord such as this can pick up interference from the car's engine if not sheilded.  We have a simple line-in plug for our Territory but it picks up engine revs.  There's a fix for it but it's not "my" car.

I went and bought a din plug from Jaycar and 3.5mm jack to make my own but I can't work out the pin arrangement or find reference for it.  Another way is to use a portable cd player's "car kit" which can be bought cheap these days.  It is a cassette with cord that will plug in the 3.5mm headphone socket of an iPod.  There's a tiny bit of a hum independant of engine interference, but the read head on my Becker Monza needs replacing.  Throw in a cigarette lighter charger for the iPod and pretty soon there's a lot of cords cluttering the middle console.  But that's my setup for the moment.

Papalangi

There are two sources for buying a ready made cable that I know of and I did trace the 5 pin DIN plug on a Europa II but don't know where my notes are at the moment.

The thing that confuses me about the ready made cables is that they both state that you need the mono 5 pin version for the Mexico cassette but my US version has a 7 pin DIN plug.  I'm guessing that there was a change in the mid 70's.

http://www.beckerautosound.com/Classic/classic_aux_instructions.html

http://koenigs-classic.de.dd12414.kasserver.com/shop/index.php?cPath=62&SESS=e6d6869daefc5af1fc075acd5ad48d57

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

BAR

DIN Pin guide - and a nicely done diagram:

http://www.vandenhul.com/artpap/wiring-din.htm

All you need is a soldering iron: a mini stereo banana plug and the correct DIN plug.

oscar

You legend BAR!!  ;D 8)

Papa, the Koenig site is the ebay seller I spoke of.  Re; the mono/stereo/DIN5/DIN7 thing, I believe DIN 7 was a later advancement of the same standard.  You might have 7 holes in the back of the radio but I'd bet an application like this only needs 5.  It really only needs 3 - ie ground, L & R.  The other two are for deactivating the AUX which otherwise override the radio and/or tape deck.  Notice the dummy plug has two pins which which ground the AUX. Without the dummy plug in, the AUX is powered and the radio/tapedeck wont operate.  the 6th and 7th pin are redundant and I believe just blanked out.  That's my theory.

Which two are the AUX grounding deactivating pins BTW and is the back of a radio considered a receiver/amplifier ???

BAR's link helps confirm my suspicions that both DIN 5 and 7 models accept stereo input and will output stereo so long as there are two separate speaker outputs - the L and R, black and white 2 pin speaker ports.  The "mono" and "stereo" references I think are used to help determine what arrangement DIN plug you need.  It refers to the tuner, not the AUX capabilities.

One last question, my DIN 5 arrangement isn't a 180o type.  Look at papa's koenig link and compare the two photos.  My pins are more spread over 270o not 180.  Do you think this is just a physical difference, not electrical ???  I hope so.

Vad El

Quote from: AMG69 on 11 January 2007, 02:57 AM
I asked BECKER in Australia if we would see this funky model sold Down Under. 

If someone will be interesting, I can tell about this device in detail. I have one  ::)

Mercedes-Benz W116 450SEL '1979, armoured by Ernesto Pavesi S.p.a Milan Italia
Chrysler Crossfire "Limited" 3.2 Roadster '2006

AMG69

sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

Des

Quote from: Vad El on 12 January 2007, 02:12 AM
If someone will be interesting, I can tell about this device in detail. I have one  ::)

yes please!

and some pictures of how the front works for the GPS would be appreciated, thanks

Papalangi

Quote from: oscar on 11 January 2007, 11:12 PM
You legend BAR!!  ;D 8)

Papa, the Koenig site is the ebay seller I spoke of.  Re; the mono/stereo/DIN5/DIN7 thing, I believe DIN 7 was a later advancement of the same standard.  You might have 7 holes in the back of the radio but I'd bet an application like this only needs 5.  It really only needs 3 - ie ground, L & R.  The other two are for deactivating the AUX which otherwise override the radio and/or tape deck.  Notice the dummy plug has two pins which which ground the AUX. Without the dummy plug in, the AUX is powered and the radio/tapedeck wont operate.  the 6th and 7th pin are redundant and I believe just blanked out.  That's my theory.

Which two are the AUX grounding deactivating pins BTW and is the back of a radio considered a receiver/amplifier ???

BAR's link helps confirm my suspicions that both DIN 5 and 7 models accept stereo input and will output stereo so long as there are two separate speaker outputs - the L and R, black and white 2 pin speaker ports.  The "mono" and "stereo" references I think are used to help determine what arrangement DIN plug you need.  It refers to the tuner, not the AUX capabilities.

One last question, my DIN 5 arrangement isn't a 180o type.  Look at papa's koenig link and compare the two photos.  My pins are more spread over 270o not 180.  Do you think this is just a physical difference, not electrical ???  I hope so.

If you pull the dummy plug, you will find one jumper on the 5 pin DIN and two jumpers on the 7 pin DIN.  The 5 pin DIN is not wired to the DIN standard.  It supplies 12 volts, ground, an unknown to me wire that may go to one of the lights on the front, and audio in.  The fifth pin is audio out the is jumpered back in via the dummy plug.

I assume that the 7 pin DIN is the same except for left and right channels.

Michael
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

James R

Happy Sunday everyone. I was looking at the interweb for cheaper alternatives to the new and expensive retro Becker. I'd love this but can't reconcile all that money. There are cheaper alternatives that don't look as good but do the same thing. Check this link out :-

http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/acatalog/fixed_navigation_systems.html
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

Papalangi

If I were looking for a Becker replacement and cost was not a concern, I'd like one of these.

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/images/MX406_front.jpg

Michael
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8