News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Becker Mexico amplifer cradle needed..please!

Started by carl888, 14 October 2007, 07:50 AM

carl888

Does anyone have spare an amplifer cradle for a Becker Mexico.  It's the galvanised steel bracket that clamps the amplifier allowing it to be affixed securely.  Please let me know if anyone has one for sale. 

Thanks and regards,

Carl.

oscar

Where do I find said bracket?  The yellow 280 had a Mexico which I've pulled but it wasn't really attached that well.  Where is the amp supposed to be?  It was hiding under my radio loose.   There's a chance the bracket is somewhere in there.  If the bracket is where it's supposed to be wherever it's supposed to be, I'll remove it and you can have it.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

nathan

im also a little puzzled carl,
i thought the amplifier box sat freely nestled under the glovebox to be exposed once you pulled off the carpeted bit?
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

oscar

Oh hell, I didn't know it's supposed to go under the glove box behind the knee pad bit?  Will have a dig around tomorrow morning and take pics to see if anything ressembles what you're after.

carl888

Hi Oscar and Nathan,

Here is a pic of an amplifier and cradle installed in my other car  It's a "U" shaped bracket that has two lugs that fit into the slots on either side of the amplifier.  I am sorry it's not a good picture but see how you go with this.  You can just see the the clamp at the top.  Now the problem is (Apart from the fact i don't have one) is that MB may have not used one.  I can't believe they would just have the amp flopping around in the bottom of the console, but it is possible.

Regards,

Carl.

Big_Richard

mine was installed loose behind the glove box too.

Its such a light weight item that the interconnection cables stop it going anywhere anyway.

carl888

Agreed Patrick,

But the one I bought came from a R107 450SL and the cradle was fitted to the transmission tunnel.  Is it possible 107's were fixed and 116 were not, I wonder??

Regards,

Carl.

oscar

Well there's definitely nothing in the centre console in this 280.  I can't look behind the knee pad/under glove box until tomorrow.  All my tools are in the boot of the 350 at work and I haven't any tools here, even a simple phillips head screwdriver.

oscar

I had a look behind the knee pad but without luck of finding anything. 

I do remember though from Koan's Becker Mexico Input Thread that the link provides a text document which says the glove box has to be removed in order to disconnect the radio cable from the amplifier which is located behind there.  http://gallery.w116.org/dl/9189-1/Becker_Input.txt.  So yes, in a proper w116 install, at least in Koan's 6.9, the amplifier is supposed to be attached behind the glovebox.  I'll have to check the 280 again.  I've no idea if my Mexico was original in this 280.

koan

Quote from: oscar on 15 October 2007, 11:49 PM

So yes, in a proper w116 install, at least in Koan's 6.9, the amplifier is supposed to be attached behind the glovebox.

Yes, in mine it's under the glovebox, just sitting on whatever is there, no bracket but there's no room for it to move. I was a bit surprised at the lack of securing, not the M-B way.

Didn't someone say they were locally installed by the dealer, not at the factory?

If that's true maybe the amp is supposed to be mounted on a bracket somewhere else and this under the glovebox bit is the quick and cheap approach.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

carl888

Thanks for all the replies...I guess I don't need the cradle after all! :)

Regards,

Carl.

carl888

WGB

Found mine - visible when glove-box liner removed screwed to top of ducting which runs across under front knee bolster.

Bill

carl888

Marvellous.......so it sounds (sic) like I really need one after all!!

WGB

I am sure mounting the amplifier with double side adhesive or velcro tape would do exactly the same job unless it runs very hot.

Bill