News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Becker Mexico amplifer cradle needed..please!

Started by carl888, 14 October 2007, 07:50 AM

koan

Quote from: WGB on 07 January 2008, 07:15 AM

Found mine - visible when glove-box liner removed screwed to top of ducting which runs across under front knee bolster.

Had another look, no, still don't have one, all I have is felt and foam padding on the duct.

You realise now Bill that Carl will need photos and measurements to put his bracket in the correct position.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

WGB

I knew I should have taken a photo on Sunday when I had it all apart.

I was reeplacing the rubber hose (Conduit) on the left hand door and the central locking vacuum line with the green stripe was very brittle and snapped. I had a new length so instead of putting in a joiner I put in a whole new length which meant removing the left hand kick panel, ducting and glove box liner to get to the Y-connector which is up under the windscreen.

In the process found the amplifier sitting in it's bracket.

The fan motor has a small squeak in it at low speed and I have a replacement so I will be passing that way again and also it looks a handy place to put a handsfree Phone kit in.

I have spare handsfree kits for motorola and for nokia and was waiting to see what phone I ended up with before I put in the kit as the opposition brand causes an echo in each other's handsfree units. Purchased a new Nokia N95 last week and gave my Daughter my Motorola V3X (which I never came to grips with) so the decision is made.

My bracket is missing it's spring clip so to prevent a rattle I sat it on some double sided tape.

Bill

AMG69

Bill, I'm guessing in your car the old amp isnt even attached to anything though now, right? When they fitted the new Alpine AMP and tweeters etc etc I would assume they disconnected they old Becker amp? all 5 + 5w of it   ;D
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

116Benz

Do I need mine if i'm just hooking up an ipod? I thinksomeone has butchered the aerial cable on mine as well and just left it in the console.

WGB

Quote from: AMG69 on 07 January 2008, 10:51 PM
Bill, I'm guessing in your car the old amp isnt even attached to anything though now, right? When they fitted the new Alpine AMP and tweeters etc etc I would assume they disconnected they old Becker amp? all 5 + 5w of it   ;D

It still had speaker leads going somewhere and another single wire which looked a later addition as well as the main harness back to the Becker itself - I left all well alone.

Chris - One thing I did when I had the passenger seat out over Xmas was turn down the gain on that large Alpine amp so that the volume knob on the Becker unit is a bit more gentle and progressive.

Bill

carl888

Quote from: WGB on 07 January 2008, 08:50 AM
I am sure mounting the amplifier with double side adhesive or velcro tape would do exactly the same job unless it runs very hot.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Yes, and I suppose I could use a couple of self tappers and some blu tac to seal the cam cover as well!  Sorry, but seriously, I'd rather do it properly.  Do it once the right way, never do it again..

I don't want you to take the car apart just for that, I might have a troll around the wreckers first and see if I can see one apart.

Regards,

Carl.

AMG69

Bill, well done! As the damn AMP was kinda "stuck" under the seat I hadnt realised I could have adjusted it!!! :D  The things you learn later....!
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

WGB

Hi Carl,

Obviously you are a perfectionist so I will try to get you a picture in the next few days if that helps.

I don't know if my Becker Amplifier is in  the correct "Factory" position but now that my car is starting to run as a perfectionist like me expects, the air-con is nice and cold and I have selected my new Mobile phone (Nokia rather than Motorola) I will be fitting a Nokia Handsfree Bluetooth Kit and will take a camera with me and get a couple of pictures of the amplifier.

Be warned - my amplifier cradle is missing the spring clip that holds the amplifier securely to it's bracket so to stop a rattle I have put double sided tape at either end. :o

I do however have two brand new Cam-cover gaskets ;D ;D ;D

Bill

WGB

Hi Carl,

Here is a photo of the amplifier in position.

The cradle has been screwed to the ducting with self tappers with no insulation beneath it.

I assume the insulation was cut and removed so that the amplifier sits against the plastic.

It is at an angle with the inside edge nearer the front of the car than the outside edge and this would appear to be necessary for the amplifier to miss all the neighbouring structures.

Hope it answers some questions.

Bill

carl888

Hi Bill,

May the God's smile upon you for ever more  ;D

All I can say is thank you VERY VERY much!

Regards,

Carl.

koan

I think I might have to get one of these brackets.

koan

carl888

I fitted the amplifier for the Mexico today, thanks to Bill I mounted where his is, and luckily I did because there are holes pre-drilled at the factory for the cradle.  Amazing!

Here is a pic of the cradle and how it attaches to the amp:

This next pic shows the three mounting holes on the inside of the PS footwell duct.  I've outlined them in red:

These holes allow you to screw the cradle into position:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n281/carl308888/Mercedes-Benz%20280%20SE%20W116/280SEw116404.jpg

You'll notice my amp is mounted at an angle compared to Bill's.  The reason for this was the ducting for the face level vent.  In my car this ducting fouled the back of the amp if it was mounted parallel to the dash.  Luckily, will all the spare holes in the cradle, mounting it offset was no problem.

Finally, here is the amp in postion.  The small screw on the dash hold a cable tie on the back of the dash to prevent the cable from the Mexico and loudpeakers leads from fouling the ventialtion lever linkages:

Regards,

Carl.

koan

Quote from: Carl Jones on 24 February 2008, 07:12 AM

I fitted the amplifier for the Mexico today, thanks to Bill I mounted where his is, and luckily I did because there are holes pre-drilled at the factory for the cradle.  Amazing!

Have I got this right,  the fourth picture shows the heater duct that feeds the door with a sort of standoff moulded in on the top side ?

I'll have to have (yet) another look.

koan

carl888

Hi Koan,

Yes, but no standoff, the amp just screws to the top of the duct and sits on the insulation.

Regards,

Carl.