News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Bad day

Started by AMG69, 17 March 2006, 02:07 AM

AMG69

A bad "restoration day" today as I continue "AMGising" my silver 6.9!  Firstly, tried installing my second replacement Cruise Control computer and it doesnt work either (and according to one of Perth's best known M100 experts everything else (switch, actator etc etc) works fine. Another dud resolder? sigh......

Worse today. Much worse. Delivered car to autotrimmers for brand new carpets to be fitted; received "that" call a few hours later to confirm worst fears - heaps of rust in floor on passenger side front and minor on drivers side.  No carpets today :(  Time to book it in to crash repairers.

Sigh.......depressed.

Chris M
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

John Hubertz

Chris,

If you're modifying this car anyway you might try using truck bedliner material to coat those pans - I've used it for years.  You don't even need to cut out the bad metal - just grind the lumpy spots off, tape (yes, simple paper TAPE) the holes and have them spray it from underneath.  Put a rust-inhibitor on the interior part of the panel and toss the pad and carpet back in.    You can even have it colored grey (as part of the blend) to match the other undercoating - the stuff is incredible.... 

I coated an anvil with this stuff 5 years ago and it still hasn't worn away - and I literally BUILT a Suzuki Samurai 4X4 out of rust, tape and bedlining material as a trade show demonstration.  I saw it running around town two weeks ago and it looks perfect to this day.
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

alabbasi

I have the same rust on my black 6.9 and had to cut the same area in my silver 6.9. I think its a common water trap. You may want to replace the seals once you repair the rust. Underseal on both sides of the floor pan is a good idea.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

Tomi

Rusting floors is a common issue. I agree with alabassi to underseal both sides of the floors. additionally what I did was that I made a hole in the floor and applied one of those directioned rubber grommets so that water can escape.
There are so many places were water can enter to the floor that it is good to have this water drain in the lowest floor part.

oscar

Hi Chris,

Before you do anything, two comments.

Firstly, there's a reco cc computer on ebay aus at the mo for $99.95 with money back guarantee!  Here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CRUISE-CONTROL-COMPUTER-MERCEDES-116_W0QQitemZ4623578284QQcategoryZ72454QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Secondly, as for the rust, I posted a thread ages ago relating to rust in the front passenger footwell. You can read about it here Topic: Leaking Cabin? Found the problem, finally
The pics went awol during the forum upgrade but I know the fist two below were there plus I've thrown in a few more.  See them  below.  There's been a couple of other recent comments on the ingress of water and it makes me wonder if this is the common cause.  If the car's going to crash repairs, might as well get em to check it out.

Click images for larger view.

The trouble spot

Urethane applied to lap join.

Painted

Front passenger footwell receiving treatment

Back together and still no leaks

EDIT, CHANGED 1st pic
1973 350SE, my first & fave

AMG69

Thanks for all the advice everyone; I'll shop around and get the rust problem "solved" for good. As for teh Cruise Control Big Richard has kindly offered to help me with it (perth based!); so I'll report back in a few weeks when hopefully we have it all working!
Cheers
Chris
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

OzBenzHead

Quote from: Big Richard on 21 March 2006, 06:40 PM... My commercial standards simplistic, yes, unrealistic, NO, I've never made a loss yet.

BR: I couldn't agree more with your sentiments! In my business (editing, designing, and publishing books), there is much competition. My competitors spend huge amounts on advertising and promotion, and do nothing free of charge - not even a five-minute phone consultation.

I frequently yak on for 15-30 minutes giving free advice to non-clients (and existing clients, too). I also don't charge for some piddling, minor amendments to second-run jobs when clients have changed their minds about something. About 50% of the time, those whom I advised free have ended up becoming paying clients; those who don't have, nonetheless, mentioned my name to others who have then become clients. My success is dependent upon three things: the quality of my work, my readiness to assist without charge (where appropriate and practicable), and word of mouth about the previous two items.

I spend absolutely nothing on advertising and promotion; I don't go seeking clients or work. Yet, despite my being upfront about being far from the least expensive of my service type in the region, I usually have more work on than I can see the end of. Sure, my business is not capital-heavy in that I don't have to invest much other than my time in the work I do; if I were in Styria's business, having to supply expensive components or utilising subcontractors, it might be different. However, in no form of business at all do I see a valid justification for outright greed. That is not only counterproductive to a business (unless it's a bank - grrr!), but is counterproductive to the fabric of society. Australia is already far enough down the "me! me! me! - screw you!" gurgler without my assisting its further decline.

Carry on as you are, BR!

Rant over.

PS: This is not a criticism of Styria's (very honest) comments - just my slant on the subject.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

oscar

Is it possible to agree with everyone here?  My parents have been in small businesses since '78, from post offices to pubs.  Having worked along side them at various times I've some knowledge of the constant struggle between credits and debits on the ledger.  But unlike my father, who is of the generous honest type, business sense evades me and in his position I'd be even more so generous. My  unrealistic and simplistic approach to business would see me marched out the back door as Styria says.

Unsuited to business, I have the safety of a govt job, but my true calling is also my hobby and it has a name.  Professional Consumer. :)  I've been a procon since I earned my first dollar.  My training has been on the job and if there's one thing lacking, it's the ability to haggle. I see a price and either like it or I go elsewhere.  But price doesn't dictate alone.  My most rewarding purchases are those coupled with honesty and service.  It's that old fashioned customer service I love that gets my dollar.
1973 350SE, my first & fave