News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Audio system installation

Started by PMcG, 09 July 2020, 08:46 PM

PMcG

Are the local car audio installation chain an okay place to take a '77 450 SE for a stereo upgrade?  As is, there's a non-functioning early 80s Blaupunkt cassette player.  Was looking to do Sirius Radio with JBL speakers.  Any recommendations on install and what the audio wiring system is like?
1976 450 SE
Diamond Blue Metallic / Navy Blue

TJ 450

The best thing to do is run separate wiring for the new speakers and leave the original stuff intact (assuming it's original).

Other than that, it's quite straightforward, although I'm not familiar with the dash speakers on LHD cars. You can fit 5-1/4" speakers in the rear or 6-6-1/2" in the rear, normally 4" up front (maybe a 4x6 on yours?).

I'm not sure what the chains are like where you are, but I'd do some research as to the quality of the installs first. Here in Australia I very much prefer to DIY, some of the places that do high end installs are good though.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

PMcG

1976 450 SE

floyd111

Check the "search" bar here.. there are loads of fascinating threads on hifi here, some beyond mind blowing haha!

raueda1

I did DIY upgrade and am very happy with it.  System consists of an Alpine head unit and 5 channel amp (Kenwood Excelon XR901-5) in the trunk mounted against the panel in front of the gas tank.  This entailed running the low level outputs from the head unit back to the trunk and then front speaker wires from the trunk back to the dash.  Finding rear speakers that fit is easy enough.  My car has the small, rear-facing dash speakers and that was harder.  Get them from someplace that allows returns if they don't fit.  I ran all new wiring and left the old in place. 

Removing the first aid kit tray makes a nice home for the subwoofer.  Rather than mess with enclosures I used a shallow-mount PIONEER TS-SW2502S4 subwoofer which works very well. I crafted a plywood baffle to fit the opening.

This isn't a gut blasting thumpthumpthump system, but still sounds great and plays cleanly enough at volume to be listenable at speed withoput fatigue.  Most important, the automatic antenna works off the head unit. What fun!  ::)
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

Rolo

I got my first of 2 replacements from Crutchfield and it came with detail instructions.  The biggest problem i have with my latest Kenwood also from Crutchfield is the opening is too tall I had to stuff felt between the ashtray opening and the radio bracket.  Now I have a speaker phone.

nathan

PMCG,
id second TJ, its something you can do yourself and you will take much better care of your car.  Car stereo shops are full of guys who will work in the industry for a couple of years and have very little pride in their work.  They will butcher wiring harnesses, snaps interior trim bits and generally do a sloppy job.  Wiring in a car radio is not complicated.  Im no electrician but started myself, and have now fit over a dozen systems to various MBs of ours.  My own advice is resist the temptation to cut holes in trim or rear parcel shelves for bigger speakers.  in 5 years, you will likely regret this and you cant find the pieces to replace them.  good luck and if you do it yourself, start a thread and im sure we can all assist. personally,i stick to alpine head units and they have proven reliable. best of luck, Nathan
ps the system in my 6.9 I fit 10 years ago. I have since replaced the deck in the glovebox which was very easy as the harness' was the same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSOtJ-sal5E
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

PMcG

Folks,

Thank you so much for the advice!  Found a great, experienced crew who took out the after-market Blaupunkt with Jensen speakers and replaced it with a nice Alpine system with speakers that fit in the original size.  So a pair of 5"s in the back with a couple of smaller Pioneers in the front.  So no custom cuts or routing bigger holes.  The 100-watt unit divides nicely amongst the four new speakers and sounds absolutely great.

PMcG
1976 450 SE