News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

armrests ?

Started by kenny, 19 August 2006, 01:56 PM

kenny

Would an early 450 SE, say 73 or 74, have a driver's armrest?
I can't find any pictures of interiors for those years.

Thanks

alabbasi

It should, a friend has a 74 280S that did.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

kenny

oscar

kenny, are we talking middle armrest or the one on the door?

All LHD vehicles seem to have this armrest on all doors including driver's as the ebay link above shows

Whereas my driver's door and every RHD driver's door seems to look like mine which is a 73 350se
1973 350SE, my first & fave

paulbarras

Interesting.

Reminds me of a RHD Porsche 914 I saw. They only really made those cars LHD, and their conversion work just simply amounted to shifting the steering wheel and the main controls to the right. The 914 had different doorskins for the driver and passenger sides. I think the trunk and bonnet releases also remained on the left. Same thing for old 911s, except this time it's the trunk release, bonnet release and fuel filler release that stayed on the left with RHD cars.

Apparently Porsche isn't the only one with this.

Papalangi

All three of my W114's had different arm rests on each side in front but all four on my W116 match.  The 280C and the 450SEL have the big center arm rest attached to the seat back, the 250C has a very nice upholstered wedge that sits in the console and the /8 sedan had none.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

kenny

Quote from: oscar on 20 August 2006, 07:29 AM
kenny, are we talking middle armrest or the one on the door?

Whoops.  Didn't make it clear did I?  I was interested in the center rest that bolts into driver's seat. So I guess RHD country cars have the hardware for bolting the armrest up at the left side against the console, no?

oscar

Quote from: styria on 20 August 2006, 05:30 PM
On right hand drive cars, the centre armrest bolts to the passenger seat, i.e. the left hand seat. Regards, Styria

:D Really!!  Mine's connected to the driver's seat, ie right hand seat. Yet another unique feature of my forgotten one.

Kenny, I'm not sure about your last question as I don't think the console is involved at all.  I'll get a close pic of my hinge tomorrow to show you exactly where it's connected and the type of metal it's made of and mount. They're not strong enough in my opinion as too much weight and hot weather will bend it.

If I had my choice I'd like a dual armrest setup where both seats have a thinner armrest each like w108/9's 111's???? I can't remember which.

see below

s class

With respect to styria, my RHD 280SE has the centre armrest attached to the right (driver's) seat.  I too have often thought the W108 arrangement would be cool though.........

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

OzBenzHead

Quote from: s class on 21 August 2006, 03:25 PM
With respect to styria, my RHD 280SE has the centre armrest attached to the right (driver's) seat.  I too have often thought the W108 arrangement would be cool though.........

Same here, Ryan - on both counts.

What would be even better (warning: heresy about to be written!): an arrangement like in my old Rovers, which had the twin centre armrests  like the 108/109, but which were adjustable for height/angle; those on the doors were also height-adjustable.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

oscar

Hey OBH,

I just checked out your photobucket site to see what the rover arrangement was but found myself drooling over Boris and Bela.  Boris looks fantastic even though I've seen pics of him before but Bela, those 2 door coupes are right up there IMO in being amongst the best looking mercs ever.

Kenny,

here's my pic as promised although it's a poor one.  It's a view of the hinge of my armrest, RHD car, looking and zooming in from above.  The shaft of the armrest attaches to the side of the chair somehow (it's upholstered), and when moved up or down the rest is stopped by lugs or stops or something similar built into or on the shaft that restricts the movement.  I haven't seen inside a rest before to see how the hinge operates, and forgot to check if that shaft moves, but if you felt an armrest move you'd very quickly have a mental picture of how it works.  At no stage does it touch any other part of the car other than the chair it is attached to.

kenny

beautiful

just what i wanted to see

I bought these jewels on ebay, but the pics showed no provision for an armrest

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=140018079103&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Thank you

OzBenzHead

Kenny:

The eBay advertiser claimed that those seats were bought for a 450SE (so a W116); however, I note that the part numbers on the tickets (seat underside) starts with '123'.  Perhaps they were out of a W123 - in which series I've not seen a centre armrest.  That might explain the lack of provision for same.  Just a thought.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

kenny

I guess I'll know more when they're delivered.  I saw the 123 business and the photos very cleverly seem to hide where the mount for the armrest would go.  Noticed that the wheels to adjust backrest were on the "off" side and there was no provision for a height adjustment.  For two bills, I didn't think I could go wrong for new springs and horsehair pads.  I've been quoted double that per side to rebuild seats not counting new leather.  They are certainly not flawless but they'll make a good foundation for my old tired seats.
There is not inconsiderable weight burdening both front seats when wifey and I take to the open road.