News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Anyone ever put new glass on a W116?

Started by alabbasi, 30 November 2007, 12:04 AM

alabbasi

What's the trick? The glass guy messed around with it for about 5 hours before walking away with the job unfinished.

The molding appeared too big for the glass (to me). He roped me into helping so i was there through the job.

First attempt to put the chrome and the gasket on the glass before i put it all in failed. Next attempt was to put the gasket in without the chrome and failed. Third attempt was a repeat of the second attempt and the glass was in but did not appear to sit right on the upper left hand side. The chrome was not going to go in and sit in place.

What's the story?
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

Big_Richard

John Hubertz

I've heard they are a complete bear.

Also, you need someone with YEARS of experience - as the molding-insert style used by benz on our cars is very old-school.

Perhaps the classic center could offer advice?
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

Brian Crump

Totally no help to you Alabbasi as I'm in Australia - I had mine done by an independent expert a few years ago and the old glass was out and the new installed in about 2 hours for $AUD400. Genuine seals were used but the installer DID modify them in some way - it's just that I have forgotten what he told me he did...
Regards,
BC

CraigS

I have heard many, many times that aftermarket seals do not work because the insert for the chrome moulding is simply wrong. I think if you have a look at the M100 site, it has also been mentioned there in the past. I assume you are talking about the front, but I will be having the rear done shortly on one of mine, so will advise if there is any problem. I am using a factory seal.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

alabbasi

Gang, i'm quite certain that the seal is an after market seal (not bought by me, but by the installer). There is a method to it because I had my 76 Euro 6.9 done back in Jan when I lived in Atlanta and it all fit. I'm certain they used after market seals also.

I wasn't there on that occasion so I have no idea what it took to make it work.

With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

mirafioriman

1) Put the seal around the glass.

2) Insert the chrome trim into the seal.

3) Run your cord around the inside lip of the seal.

4) apply a small bead of sealant around the aparture of the screen (on the car).

5) Fit the glass.

If you/he follows this order everything should be fine..... if the seal is correct of course.
I'm called Dave! I currently own: Mercedes W116 450 SEL 6.9, Mercedes W109 300 SEL 6.3, Mercedes W126 420 SEL, Fiat 130 Berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta and a Citroen Xantia.

DieselDog

Quote from: alabbasi on 30 November 2007, 12:04 AM

First attempt to put the chrome and the gasket on the glass before i put it all in failed.

Interesting, removal of chrome molding was point where I gave up doing the job myself couple weeks ago.  Tried string-pull method for removal of trim and immediately surrendered when metal molding started getting b ent. So gently tapped it back into place with rubber hammer. Reconnoitre using professional glass people for this.

scraf

Quote from: CraigS on 30 November 2007, 01:53 AM
I will be having the rear done shortly on one of mine, so will advise if there is any problem. I am using a factory seal.

Me and a friend did the rear window of my 450 SEL the other week, chrome came off first and was added after the window was back in. Used Mercedes parts, which included about 17 clips of two types, which are pop rivetted into the body to hold the chrome. The "Mercedes" pop rivets that came with the parts were too long, had to whip down to the hardware store to get shorter ones to get the clips nice and tight. Didn't use any sealant, didn't want to make a mess, no troubles as of yet.

macarose

alabassi, do you remember who you used back in Atlanta?

BAR

This job when performed by an accomplished person is all too easy and they are also aware of what tools are required.

As an aside, you didn't mention if the guy removed the side strikes [chrome and painted pieces] at each side of the front windscreen before he started the job.

My recommendation is to identify if an installer is familiar with a W116 before he attempts to stuff up the front of your car.

alabbasi

Quote from: BAR on 10 December 2007, 07:41 PM
This job when performed by an accomplished person is all too easy and they are also aware of what tools are required.

As an aside, you didn't mention if the guy removed the side strikes [chrome and painted pieces] at each side of the front windscreen before he started the job.

My recommendation is to identify if an installer is familiar with a W116 before he attempts to stuff up the front of your car.

We pulled the side molding, the job would have been impossible if we did not. I took it to another installer who got the glass in and the chrome on properly within an hour.  It required some gentle persuasion with a rubber mallet but he did a good job.  This is quite good because my 350SE has no windshield and my 79 6.9 could use a new one.

With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

john skene

If you try replacing the rear glass, the rubber moulding has to be cut before removing the glass by holding the cutter parallel to the glass, otherwise it is too easy to rip the electrical conductor off the glass and wreck the demisting system.

alabbasi

I got the glass sorted with the after market rubber. The second installer took about an hour to install. He did it by taping the rubber to the glass and then installing glass. It had to be massaged aggressively into place. Once installed, the chrome was tapped in with a mallet.

What a bastard of a job.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

CraigS

Thanks John. I will be having this done in the new year. I know there is a right way and a wrong way to do this, so it is good to know the right way. Finding an installer that knows how to do it is the problem, but it may be better to remove it yourself and have someone install it.

Quote from: john skene on 14 December 2007, 10:53 PM
If you try replacing the rear glass, the rubber moulding has to be cut before removing the glass by holding the cutter parallel to the glass, otherwise it is too easy to rip the electrical conductor off the glass and wreck the demisting system.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]