News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Any experience with World Upholstery or GAHH carpet kits?

Started by orientrot, 26 January 2020, 05:43 PM

orientrot

Quote from: rumb on 10 February 2020, 02:08 PM
The extra carpet if unbacked is for the knee bolsters and the sides of the center console and the package shelf. You can have a center console tray piece made with it also.

Even with what you discuss it's going to look nice with all new carpets.
You're correct that the extra carpet is unbacked. The replacement parcel shelf that I have is parchment carpet I think but it is closer in texture to the original so I'll have to weigh dying that to this color versus pulling that carpet off and using this.

And thanks, I was initially a little worried but given some time to sleep on it and more time to look at it and the other options, I am a bit more satisfied with the set. I mentioned in the other thread that a plus I can see of this set is that the piping does seem pretty thick and strong and the heelpad, while the wrong color, also seems substantial. I did pull out a couple of more original pieces today and this set matched pretty closely. At this point I think that I'll end up keeping it and use their warranty to get them to fix any issues it has when I install it rather than go through the hassle of trying to return it. The cabrio.de set seems like the next cheapest option that may be a little better made, but based on ptashek's photo's of his, it looks like the carpet material is likely from the same supplier. Plus, the shipping for my set from California was $72 and I just had a much smaller and lighter package of parts ship from Serbia for my Yugo that was about 50 euro so I can imagine the shipping from Germany could be a bit eye-watering.

I'll have to see if I worry about the center console piece or not; if I'm going to end up getting the cocomats with the center console piece included, it may be a bit of a moot point.
75 450SEL
80 300SD- cancelled project
83 300D- 5-speed OM617
84 300D- AMG 5.4L N/A M113 6 speed
92 300D- 722.6 OM603 3.5
93 190E 2.6 Sportline LE x2- 6-speed M111 turbo, 3.0 M103
02 C320 Wagon
03 Sprinter 2500
06 E500 4Matic Wagon- AMG 5.4L NA M113

floyd111

So Ptashek has the cabrio.de set, and you've got the GAHH. They use the same material, apparently. Reading back your remarks what's wrong with the GAHH kit, does the cabrio.de kit rank better in regards to those details?
What were the cabrio.de quirks?

Would also be good to hear from anyone that remembers the WUH kit details, so maybe we can actually come to some scientific conclusions, haha!
I also still need to purchase a kit, this year, and I for one would like to know.

ptashek

Quote from: floyd111 on 25 February 2020, 07:21 PM
So Ptashek has the cabrio.de set, and you've got the GAHH. They use the same material, apparently. Reading back your remarks what's wrong with the GAHH kit, does the cabrio.de kit rank better in regards to those details?

Would also be good to hear from anyone that remembers the WUH kit details, so maybe we can actually come to some scientific conclusions, haha!
I also still need to purchase a kit, this year, and I for one would like to know.

Stan, I can send you a sample of the carpet I have, you'll judge for yourself.  I've a few off cuts I won't be needing. It wouldn't have the piping though, which in my opinion is the only thing that could be improved on the cabrio.de set.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

floyd111

ptashek

Quote from: floyd111 on 26 February 2020, 05:12 PM
"piping"? :o

Edging, piping, whatever the trade term for the typically vinyl edge finish is :)
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

dnaspazz

I've confirmed that WUH and GAAH have the same carpet for my car. I'm still waiting for Cabrini to ship me a sample to confirm all three carpet samples are the same. 

orientrot

Quote from: floyd111 on 25 February 2020, 07:21 PM

Correction, I have the world upholstery kit rather than the GAHH kit. I can't 100% say if the carbrio.de set and WUH set are in fact made of the same material, but it does at least look very close in pictures.

I would say that the piping on this set is one of the nicer things about it. Here it is by itself:

Then with the original. You can see on the new WUH piece, it's doubled back over on itself so it actually looks a little better finished than the original. (Ignore the hair, I have a long haired white dog who has been using the old carpet as an another bed.)

Then here is the back of each:

Here's the hair machine in action:

Ultimately, I think the original material looks nicer than the new but if all of the newly manufactured stuff is using carpet from the same source, your only option for carpet perfectly matched to the original is original carpet.
75 450SEL
80 300SD- cancelled project
83 300D- 5-speed OM617
84 300D- AMG 5.4L N/A M113 6 speed
92 300D- 722.6 OM603 3.5
93 190E 2.6 Sportline LE x2- 6-speed M111 turbo, 3.0 M103
02 C320 Wagon
03 Sprinter 2500
06 E500 4Matic Wagon- AMG 5.4L NA M113

dnaspazz

Magically, I got the cabrio samples in the mail today.

Comparing the gahh and cabrio samples, I am certain that they different manufacturers. The backing and colors are quite different. Frustratingly, cabrio didn't send ( or don't have ) the dark brown for my car, so I can't confirm which matches color better.  For those still interested, i will post some pictures of the sample comparison Saturday. 

UTn_boy

Quote from: ptashek on 26 February 2020, 07:45 PM
Quote from: floyd111 on 26 February 2020, 05:12 PM
"piping"? :o

Edging, piping, whatever the trade term for the typically vinyl edge finish is :)

In the trade, the material around the floor carpets and other carpet pieces is called binding. For example, one would say, "I want my floor carpets bound in bamboo vinyl or Bamboo leather". 

Piping is the small round profile edging that is in the seat coverings between the outer bolsters and lower/side panels.  It's also in the front seat arm rest. 

However, there are so many mismatched/misused terms lately I can't keep up with what people mean.  So I have to further inquire or have them send pictures.   
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

dnaspazz

As promised, some pictures of comparing cabrio vs GAHH/WUH velour carpets. If the samples are representative, the manufacturers are certainly different. The colors are different, and the feel of the carpets are also slightly (but noticeably different). I'm not educated enough about carpet to judge which is higher quality. I dont have a cabrio dark brown sample so I also cannot determine if cabrio is closer to original. Will almost certainly depend on the color

Bottom line- If you not happy with the color match of one provided, get a sample of the the other. If you need want more pictures, please ask.

floyd111

Idea.. Take your samples to a friendly home-carpet company nearby, and ask their opinion. I bet they will be helpful in explaining the diff, and what to look for judging a carpet.