News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Another take on sagging drivers seats.

Started by WGB, 19 October 2009, 08:39 AM

WGB

The usual 116 problem is a sagging outer edge to the drivers seat and the only real lasting solution is probably a new seat base and prefererably the older and interchangeable 108 type with coils springs rather than the later torsion bar type springing - very labour intensive and requires finding and purchasing a 108 (or early 116) seat base.

Another option is to change the passenger seat base for the driver seat base - also very labour intensive.

When I re-upholstered my front seats 2 years ago I was going to swap the bases but it would have required drilling out the rivets for the hinges and replacing them on the opposite side of each base  and I made the decision to repair the drivers base using crimped joints to the two broken springs.

I have regretted that decision ever since as although the springs are now sound they are weak on the outer edge from people getting in and out over 30 years and this causes some discomfort, a disconcerting feeling going around left hand corners, as well as back pain - especially as I have a scoliosis that is exactly the opposite of the tilt in the seat.

Getting the seats in and out of the car is not easy and I have been driving around for the past two years wishing the largely unoccupied pasengers seat had the problem - not mine.

A few months ago a genuine M-B repair kit for 126 seats (which are even weaker than the later 116 seat bases) appeared on US e-bay and the picture showed it to be two hollow rubber cylinders which are placed vertically on either side at the leading edge of the seat between the base and the spring pad.

This still allows the spring base to work and stops the over stuffed and hard squab effect that forcing a pool noodle around between the springs can cause.

Using the same theory and a $2 pool noodle I cut three lengths - 16cm, 14cm and 12cm from the noodle. With the seat in position and me sitting on it I eased the bottom leather re-inforced seam from it's channel in the seat base and this left plenty of room to ease in the three lengths of noodle - each sitting vertically. They wedge nicely between base and squab springing with the longest at the front , 14 cm in middle and 12 cm at rear. Sit on it again and tuck in the leather back in the channel again.

The seat is now level and the outer edge is firm but the integrity and springing of the base is still present.

At $2 and 22 minutes of time I will see if I am happy with it or not. If not I will find a 108 base and start again.

Bill

Big_Richard

Tj donated a coil spring base to me today, they certainly are way over engineered and MUCH firmer than the torsion spring bases. After seeing how good they are, i wish i had another for the passenger side.

I'm 100Kg and i can stand in the middle of the bare coil spring base and the springs are not even fully compressed.

I guess comfort took priority over strength in the second generation 116 seat bases.

TJ 450

That sounds like a good fix, Bill. Working with seats is a real hassle at the best of times.

I ended up using two passenger spring units for my W126. The fact that the coil spring bases don't have the large aperture in the sheetmetal, makes fitting the powered adjustment mechanism a bit of a nightmare.

If I ever have any problems with the seats in my 116s, I'll probably try the "noodle" method.

Tim

1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Tony T

I used pool noodles to repair the seats on my W123's more than a year ago and I'm still happy with the result now.  ;D

goldacre

Hey Bill, they are on to you: http://www.mercedessource.com/taxonomy/term/24%2C133?page=2

This Website is pretty good, certainly had a laugh when i saw the poster on the link  ;D

G
12/1979 450 SEL 148K on clock (museum piece)
12/1986 Lotus Esprit Turbo 87K on clock 'Darling, look what Q has brought for us, isn't it nice' :)

1980450sel

Yes Bill, I say "YES" to noodle seats. I did exactly like you described and it works and feels great and worked very well with my budget. I forgot to thank you for this post, so thanks!

Scott

WGB

I am going to try it again over Xmas with some slightly longer lengths as I am still not perfectly happy.

I flashed my noodles at the WA "minimeet" last Sunday but have decided to try a thicker noodle and longer lengths.

I notice my wife has purchased two new "fatter" noodles for my Grandson so I think one will disappear down to the shed  and this time I will take photos.

Bill

sprog

I have this problem too; but I thought flashing one's noodle was illegal in some places  ;D

Anyway, I have the sore bum, no padding driver's seat problem and the side support on the seat when I roll out the door. I was going to get mine done by an upholsterer as a temporary fix, prior to get a leather conversion. I have a '79 450 SEL AMG.

Big_Richard

WGB

Quote from: sprog on 09 January 2010, 10:52 AM
I have this problem too; but I thought flashing one's noodle was illegal in some places  ;D

Anyway, I have the sore bum, no padding driver's seat problem and the side support on the seat when I roll out the door. I was going to get mine done by an upholsterer as a temporary fix, prior to get a leather conversion. I have a '79 450 SEL AMG.

Here is take 2 with some pictures as well

Link

Bill

sprog

The '79 450 SEL AMG was bought new by Bob Trimboli of Underbelly fame. I didn't know this when I bought it. I found this out in the log books and repair receipts in the glovebox. I would have still been in doubt except I saw a documentary about him and in one scene he is standing behind the car and it is real!!!!