Author Topic: Anodized Aluminum - Good Result  (Read 572 times)

marku

• Vintage
Re: Anodized Aluminum - Good Result
« Reply #15 on: 10 October 2021, 08:13 AM »
The sandpaper method does work although it is hard work. When I refinished the doors I thought that I couldn't put the anodised trim back as it really was in a poor state badly scratched. Tried to get some of it done professionally but they would not take it on. So with a deep breath tried sandpaper starting with 60 grit. Hard to get the anodised layer of and to remove the scratches. Then worked all the way up to 2500g wet and then metal polishing cream. Finished off with a clear brass lacquer applied with a very fine varnish brush. Looks OK but it is as good as the effort put in and takes along time. 
450SE silver green/bamboo velour/green vinyl roof
Mercedes Viano Ambiente 2.2CDI L

john erbe

• Classic
« Reply #16 on: 15 October 2021, 03:45 PM »
The guy up there in WA, MercedesSource, had a info video on this topic a few years back experimenting with various techniques.

rparker

• Enthusiast
  • New Owner
« Reply #17 on: 16 October 2021, 05:35 AM »
The guy up there in WA, MercedesSource, had a info video on this topic a few years back experimenting with various techniques.

Yes, my understanding is that his method is using his customized magic paste which is designed to balance the removal of the anodization and shine the underlying aluminum. It'll work but you'll have to apply metal wax quite often to keep the shine up.

Cheers.

Ryan
77' W116 280S, 4-Speed Manual

Flogrates

• Enthusiast
  • W116 Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: 16 October 2021, 05:12 PM »
Having spent a long time as a truck driver I've spent an equally long time polishing.

I don't think you'll ever get it out. But, starting at like 240grit working your way up to say 1200 then use a 1800rpm buffer should have it pretty shiney.

It's just incredibly time consuming. My last truck was a weekend job for the bull bar.

john erbe

• Classic
« Reply #19 on: 17 October 2021, 10:51 AM »
If i recall the product he used was Wipe-On Poly by Minwax applied with a  sander. I applied with a coarse pad following with soft cloth. Did a good job getting out the cloudiness. You're in effect buffing out and applying a poly coating.

Eyeman

• Enthusiast
  • W116 Enthusiast
« Reply #20 on: 17 October 2021, 10:09 PM »
Glad I read this before I started messing with my trim while I'm doing a strip then repaint.  Most of my trim is in very good shape largely because the prior owner overpainted much of it in 80s AMG style.  I carefully stripped the overpaint off in the mid 90s and have kept the car covered since.  But I do have some scratches to tackle.

On home chroming/anodizing, etc, that seems very difficult IMO.  I had a dedicated oven back in the day for chrome powder coating.  Works pretty well, and is easy.  I have a 190SL that maybe I'll eventually restore.  If I do, I'll get me another oven.