News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

AMG steering wheel

Started by James R, 10 March 2007, 05:36 AM

James R

1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

Tomi

hi james,
not quite sure. if your 116 is older than about -76 then definitly not, otherwise maybe. but you can allways buy a separate boss appropriate for the 116.

However, this will block your view to the meters, and you will not like that in the long run.

oscar

Hi James, that wheel looks good.  See my other post in the AMG6.9 thread

Tomi's confirmed something for me.  1976 was the change over to the bigger spline and I have this email from the seller that sold me my wooden wheel

Hi Simon,
The shaft size is 15mm - smaller size.   The larger shaft size (17-20mm) was only made for the 76 & 77 models mainly for the American market, so you should be ok.  I have both sizes.

Firstly, I thought the larger sized spline continued thru 76 - 80.  Looking at that ebay wheel, it's definitely a larger spline but for a w124 does it fit a w116.  If you got the wheel, you could always get a boss to suit and there's just the 6 screws.  My wheels cost around $180-$215 AUD (72 GBP - 86.90 GBP) and whilst I got a boss kit included with the wooden one for $215, a separate kit will cost around $80AUD  (32.33 GBP)

I also see the seller has got the brand as Italvolanti, just hasn't quite been able to read it.  Tomi is also correct about the smaller diameter of the wheel.  380mm compared to about 410mm of the original.  They feel great to drive with, but I can't see between 60-140km/hr.  I'm always looking under the wheel to check speed but I haven't got sick of it yet.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Mforcer

That is the steering wheel I have installed in my car. The same wheel is on the 6.9 AMG that is for sale at the MB Classic Center.

The wheel does partially block the view of the instrument cluster but the feel of the thicker rimmed wheel is so much better than the original that I can live with not seeing me full speedometer.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Des

how tall are you guys? I know everyone has said the AMG wheel blocks your view, but I find the original one does for me anyway, like if I want to check how much petrol I have left I have to look down under the steering wheel,
I'm about 6"1 - 6'2,
now unless I drive with the seat right back, and my arms outstretched to reach the wheel, which I can do, and then can see the gauges properly, but doesn't feel right, I like to drive slightly more forward, arms in a more relaxed pose, I can't see the speedometer past 100 and the fuel gauge

now in my W123, smaller car, I have the seat right back, and still can't see the fuel gauge unless I look down under the steering.

oscar

Des, I'm about 5'11.  With the original I never had any problems seeing gauges and I doubted what difference between a 380mm wheel and the original 400+ would make.  Like you I want to be comfortable when driving and have to bring the seat forward a bit, but even with the chair lowered to the lowest setting, I still can't see the top of the speedo.  Crucial speeds too between 90 - 130km/hr or so, not sure exactly.

Here's a photo I took when I first put the wooden one on to show the viewing angle.  It does a pretty good job showing how much of the speedo is obscured from my normal driving position.  It looks a bit shocking but you get used to it and I like driving with these wheels.  Like Mforcer says, the thicker wheel feels better.  The smaller diameter doesn't make the steering feel heavier, rather I'd say more sure footed.

I'd say buy one.  Try it.  And if you're not happy, sell it and put the old one back on.  You're bound to get your money back or close to it.  They also look good wall mounted whilst in storage.

500eguy

That could get bothersome after awhile

Des

This is a picture taken from a 1980's AMG brochure

Des

Another shot of their AMG steering wheel, are those buttons on the seats?

AMG69

sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

oscar

AMG69, what are you going to do with yours again?

That wheel James linked to went for $310AUD roughly

but look at this one - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220095203139&fromMakeTrack=true

350 euros so far about $575AUD

AMG69

Phew $575!!

I'm seriously considering PB's suggestion of mounting a GPS on the dash to act as a speedo - and then I could live with the smaller wheel!
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

Mforcer

Unfortunately GPS isn't accurate enough... at least mine is about 10% too high in every car I have taken it.

I just live on the edge and 'sense' my speed. I'm working towards being able to drive with my eyes closed and just use the Force!

At times I really need to know my speed such as when passing a speed camera, I simply lean forward in my seat to see the relevant parts of the speedo. Good opportuniy to have a little stretch ;)
Michael
2006 B200

Des

Quote from: AMG69 on 02 April 2007, 01:09 AM
Phew $575!!

I'm seriously considering PB's suggestion of mounting a GPS on the dash to act as a speedo - and then I could live with the smaller wheel!

What you are actually best to do is package carefully up your wheel, and post it down to a certain member who lives in Tasmania and he will pay you a nice price for it. That way you can keep an eye on how fast you are going.

:D   ;D

On a more serious note, why not mount a VDO or Autometer aftermarket speedometer down near the ash tray, then you could pipe the cableing for it down through there somewhere.

Mforcer

Quote from: Des on 02 April 2007, 01:29 AM
On a more serious note, why not mount a VDO or Autometer aftermarket speedometer down near the ash tray, then you could pipe the cableing for it down through there somewhere.

I have thought about doing that myself but the wheel isn't worth that much trouble in my opinion. The wheel is better but not that much better.
Michael
2006 B200