News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

AMG steering wheel.

Started by koan, 15 November 2007, 02:48 PM

koan

How often do the 116 style (the ones that look right) come up on ebay? Are they a rare item?

What about the hub, didn't the number of spines and shaft diameter change at some stage.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Mforcer

Which steering wheels look right? Which look wrong??

AMG wheels do appear on eBay, especially eBay Germany regularly but the seller is not always inclined to ship internationally.

The hub diameter did change around '77 with the post-'77 cars using the same size hub as the W126. From memory it went from small to large (search the forum as it has been discussed before). It is easy to change the boss which fits between the wheel and the hub.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Andrew280SEL

Hey guys,

This thread has some spline info, and also some pics of the orangy looking 'AMG' wheel and a (I'm guessing) proper black AMG wheel (just scroll down the page). I think they are the two types, I'm not sure. :)

http://forum.w116.org/interiors-and-exteriors/amg-steering-wheel/0/

EDIT:

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/482/steeringwheel002small2ms.jpg - Orangy one

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/6416/8eea1dee8e73gn5.jpg - Black AMG
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

Mforcer

The AMG wheels (which are just rebadged Italvalanti wheels - AMG didn't make there own wheels) came in all colors to match the car interiors. The wheels were more common on the 1980's models than our W116, and so tend to match those interior colors.
Michael
2006 B200

Mforcer

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 15 November 2007, 03:39 PM
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/482/steeringwheel002small2ms.jpg - Orangy one

That is not an AMG steering wheel. That is the Italvalanti wheel.

The most common difference between the two, apart from the logo on the center pad is the diameter of the wheel with the AMG wheels being slightly larger than the others and slightly smaller than stock.
Michael
2006 B200

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: Mforcer on 15 November 2007, 04:06 PM

That is not an AMG steering wheel. That is the Italvalanti wheel.

The most common difference between the two, apart from the logo on the center pad is the diameter of the wheel with the AMG wheels being slightly larger than the others and slightly smaller than stock.

Ah, thanks Mforcer. I was wondering, because it doesn't look like an AMG unit.

I'd also like an AMG wheel, like the black one in the picture, but I reckon it will be a while before one comes around.
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

koan

This is the one I think looks right  (the proper one ;)

And I'm sure there's one hanging up on a peg at one of the "parts recyclers" I've visited in the last few years but as I didn't have any interest in them at the time I can't recall where, I could of course be dreaming.

Any one know what diameter the above wheel is?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Andrew280SEL

It's a kind of a pity there's no steering wheel tilt, in that case.

Hopefully the 'proper' AMG wheel has decent visibility, 'cos it's quite nice and would suit my 350 I reckon (if I ever find one that is) 8).
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

Miss Olga

You may care to peruse some further reading at http://www.italvolanti.com/
Yrs etc,
Miss Olga

Mforcer

The top of the speedo is obscured behind the 38cm steering wheel but less so than the smaller 36cm steering wheel.

I am now accustomed to not seeing the full speedo and the only time it frustrates me is around speed cameras where the exact speed is needed to be known. At those times I slouch or lean forward a bit and can see what I need.

If I had an original steering wheel in as good condition as my AMG wheel, I probably wouldn't swap. But the thicker, leather rim of the AMG wheel is soooo much nicer to hold. Perhaps one day I'll go back when I can justify the cost of a new genuine wheel.

And, adjustable steering would be fantastic.
Michael
2006 B200

Mforcer

Quote from: Miss Olga on 16 November 2007, 01:53 AM
You may care to peruse some further reading at http://www.italvolanti.com/
I may have missed it but I couldn't see any details of any products on those pages. Would be good to know what sizes the steering wheels actually came in. ::)
Michael
2006 B200

WGB

Quote from: koan on 15 November 2007, 10:56 PM
This is the one I think looks right  (the proper one ;)

And I'm sure there's one hanging up on a peg at one of the "parts recyclers" I've visited in the last few years but as I didn't have any interest in them at the time I can't recall where, I could of course be dreaming.

Any one know what diameter the above wheel is?

koan

I have one of those sitting on my workbench that Chris sold me with the car.

He had the leather recovered but the central foam cover has a split in it where someone has got a little heavy handed removing the centre motif.

I will be removing the present steering wheel at some time as it is not fitted dead centre and I will try the other wheel at that time.

My problem is that I would rather see the instruments than use a fancier wheel but would put it on for show days etc.if I can get the split repaired.

Bill

oscar

FWIW both my italvolanti wheels were 380mm.   The funny thing is that the leather one's hub is off centre so the top of the wheel has a little better vision of the instrument cluster, but it's still restricted.  At the moment I use the wooden one that Andrew linked during summer and the leather one in winter and I don't feel like fitting an original 410mm one again.  I feel the same as Mforcer.   I do like the old ones but I love these smaller ones and the restricted view of the speedo doesn't bother me.  In other words, I'm use to it now and they're worth the inconvenience.

To see what the restricted view is like as if I'm driving, refer to that first link and pic that Andrew posted.  I took that pic especially to demonstrate the restricted view. 

Koan, re the AMG badged types, a while back when 500eguy was looking I found em on ebay on a weekly basis and so did he.  None in Aus, mainly European.  But I also noticed two types.  The one that WGB talks of which is the same type as you posted, plus one with no "webs" between the spokes. Like that Classic Center's 6.9 pictured below.  The only problem with this type is the spokes are upside down ;D  ::)
But it resembles the two italvolantis I have pictured further down.  Especially the wooden one.  Very much the same.

Classic Center AMG6.9

the webbed type AMG

Wooden Italvolanti, or "Orangey" as i now shall call it :D thanks Andrew ;)

Leather Italvolanti
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Andrew280SEL

What can I say, the orangy look stood out at me. ;D ;D (EDIT: Goodness me Oscar, I just noticed we both have the stepped dash and the exact same carpet in our 350's ;) Almost sisters.)

I really like the AMG 'webbed' type. But they all have their own appeal.

The webbed one looks sort of modern in a way. Are they just made for various models inc. the w116? Or is it an original item from another model made to fit?
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'79 450SEL 6.9

oscar

Your 350 can be the sister.  Mines a bruver ;D  I used to think the stepped dash was standard until I got my 280S.  love the stepped dash.

Re the webbed AMG wheel.  Des had posted pictures direct from a 70's AMG catalogue.  The links on most of his older photos have broken I've noticed.  Des what's doing there?  They weren't in the gallery they were on an offsite server.  Could you post the image of the AMG catalogue page with the accessories on it again pretty please 8)

I can't honestly remember which wheel was shown for the w116 in the AMG catalogue but other models were shown too, like w123's, sedans and coupes.  So there may have not been a w116 specific AMG steering wheel.  Rather, AMG produced accessories that were suitable for a number of models.  For example, the AMG penta rims.  Attached to w116's 123's 126's 107's, not model specific.
1973 350SE, my first & fave