News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

AMG steering wheel.

Started by koan, 15 November 2007, 02:48 PM

WGB

Drove to work today with the new wheel.
There was one click left on the height adjuster(and that fortunately wasn't from the handle breaking off) and now I can almost see 90 Km/hr.

The wheel itself transforms the steering and is a very pleasant steer.

It gives an impression of directness which is missing with the big wheel and even with the bigger wheels and tires on the car the effort required to park is not much heavier than my ML 500 with it's parameter steering.

Bill

Andrew280SEL

Quote from: WGB on 18 November 2007, 06:47 PM
Drove to work today with the new wheel.
There was one click left on the height adjuster(and that fortunately wasn't from the handle breaking off) and now I can almost see 90 Km/hr.

The wheel itself transforms the steering and is a very pleasant steer.

It gives an impression of directness which is missing with the big wheel and even with the bigger wheels and tires on the car the effort required to park is not much heavier than my ML 500 with it's parameter steering.

Bill

It sounds really good.  :)

I would certainly consider one, but the visual obstruction really worries me.

The price you pay for the luxury I guess. :-\
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

WGB

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 18 November 2007, 11:08 PM

It sounds really good.  :)

I would certainly consider one, but the visual obstruction really worries me.

The price you pay for the luxury I guess. :-\

"Fashion knows no pain"

It does actually improve the steering feel so dramatically for the better that I will live with the inconvenience for a while and see what happens.

Bill

AMG69

;D  I did that too Bill......then it drove me nuts peering down to see the guages all the time!
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

WGB

Hi Chris,

It will probably not help my round shouldered posture to slump in the seat for too long but I do enjoy the difference in feel.

Bill

500eguy

Here is a picture of my steering wheel, i love it!

oscar

Johnny, that's my favourite style, nice work 8)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Andrew280SEL

Same!

I want one for my 350 now ;D
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

500eguy

Do it... It really feels a lot better! I had no issues fitting mine, it bolted right it... I had to have the steering wheels dyed to black...

deton8r

I have the same steering wheel as the lower picture in post #31 (AMG web style) except it has the Mercedes star instead of the AMG logo.  The spline size on mine is around 21mm.  I noticed the comment about the comment about the spline size switch around '77/78.  I purchased it on eBay a long time ago and never installed it.  I have no record of what chassis or year the donor car was.  Is my steering wheel going to fit my '75 or am I screwed here?

Mforcer

Quote from: deton8r on 01 February 2008, 12:25 AM.  The spline size on mine is around 21mm... Is my steering wheel going to fit my '75 or am I screwed here?

If it doesn't fit, it is just a matter of tracking down another hub with the correct spline size. Or I have read it possible to change the spline (my involve more changes to the steering  system).

As for for viewing the speedo, I have learnt to take note of the speedo indicator position against the odometer and am comfortable sticking to the intended speed. I may need to lean forward to confirm when changing speeds but not for long periods. It does help knowing where speed cameras are located.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

WGB

Quote from: Mforcer on 01 February 2008, 02:34 AM
Quote from: deton8r on 01 February 2008, 12:25 AM.  The spline size on mine is around 21mm... Is my steering wheel going to fit my '75 or am I screwed here?

If it doesn't fit, it is just a matter of tracking down another hub with the correct spline size. Or I have read it possible to change the spline (my involve more changes to the steering  system).

As for for viewing the speedo, I have learnt to take note of the speedo indicator position against the odometer and am comfortable sticking to the intended speed. I may need to lean forward to confirm when changing speeds but not for long periods. It does help knowing where speed cameras are located.

I think the later (larger) spline size also has a different flexible joint at the lower end of the column so that may need to be changed as well as the column.

I still really like my AMG wheel even though I can't see the speedo very well.

I still set the wheel and seat position in my ML 500 so that I only see about the same amount of speedo in each car.

Bill

deton8r

Rats, I figured as much.  I think I'm probably going to sell this one and look for a deal on a Nardi or Personal wood wheel.

johnnyw116

hi is that type of AMG steeringwheel special ??? i have the same AMG steering wheel it also has the adaptor who goes on the spline and that adaptor what goes on the spline has a mercedes number on it that begins with W116 i have it for manny years in my basement it used to be black but it is now grey of all the dust  :)

regards : johnny weisz  .                                               
JohnnyW116

deton8r

I'd have to dig it out of storage but I believe it's made by MOMO so I theoretically could find a hub adapter on eBay.  The center pad is in perfect shape so I didn't want to remove it unnecessarily.  I used to have a mohogany LeCarra steering wheel in my old Jag and it really made you feel like a king sitting behind that thing which is why I'm considering a Nardi.  I'm also checking with Classico Wheels about their billit aluminum hubs which come with multiple adapters so you can switch to pretty much any steering wheel you want.  They look expensive but I'll report back what they tell me.