News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

AMG full body kit

Started by motec6.9, 22 April 2010, 11:49 PM

s class

ha, I was going to bit too, but the thought of organising shipping to South Africa scared me a bit. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

I was thinking I was the only one on ebay that saw that listing :P  But with a $300 cap, it went for much more than I could justify to the Mrs.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

WGB

Two big parcels arrived today from Queensland

That orchard mulch mower is 2 metres wide so it gives an idea of scale.

Anyway - lots of bits including a genuine front spoiler in flexible plastic complete with the correct mounting system and the correct black plastic insert that should fit a lot better than the original grill does.

The side skirts will need some lengthening as they are SE skirts and the plastic spoiler will have to be plastic welded but a good collection to finish off the exterior of my car properly.

AMG may not be everyone's taste but all the bits will be original now as well as making the car complete externally.

Bill

TJ 450

Brilliant!

It is a good collection indeed.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Mforcer

It is difficult to see just which pieces you have but I very much look forward to seeing them on your car.

I will be very interested in knowing how similar your new front air dam and fixture is to the current reproduction on your car, ignoring the different material from which they are made.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

s class

That's an awesome purchase.  I'm sure AMG69 would be proud of you. 

Those two black grille inserts - are the different mouldings to the standard items?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

Congrats Bill.  I'm a bit curious about the grill inserts too.  Cut down regulars do the trick as you know but I've never seen the real deal and yours sem to have tapered ends much like the regular ones except they fit as is.  Very interesting.

The big question, are you thinking of doing copies?  Particularly of the SE sides prior to stretching them out for the SEL version?

WGB

Quote from: s class on 23 June 2010, 02:32 AM
That's an awesome purchase.  I'm sure AMG69 would be proud of you. 

Those two black grille inserts - are the different mouldings to the standard items?

I haven't heard from AMG69 for a year or so but I guess he is still around. I will have owned the car for three years come October so I guess he has moved on.

Quote from: oscar on 23 June 2010, 03:31 AM
Congrats Bill.  I'm a bit curious about the grill inserts too.  Cut down regulars do the trick as you know but I've never seen the real deal and yours sem to have tapered ends much like the regular ones except they fit as is.  Very interesting.

The big question, are you thinking of doing copies?  Particularly of the SE sides prior to stretching them out for the SEL version?

I am very busy for the next month and not much is going to get done so there is plenty of time for consideration and negotiations.

The ends of the black plastic inserts appear flattened out and a different shape with less taper.
I will look for a pair from the 450 when I get time and photograph them.

Bill

SELfor50

How much did the kit end up going for?

1 copy please.  ;D
If you do go that path, I'll buy a set off you for the SE6.9
Still got an original AMG front spoiler but it's sitting with Torana (Roger) off here.. might give him a call.

Look forward to seeing it on your car Bill.

Cam.

WGB

I was going to lay out the bits of the kit today as well as do some general photography but my wife has arranged 20 or so people for lunch so 116 time is limited.

I scanned in the two brochure photos I purchased off ebay and although the front-on view has been seen many times the rear-on view is new to me.

Forgetting the 80's fashion of dark centred wheels (a la Porsche forged wheels) what is noticeable is that the spoiler is not painted but left in it's native rubber (black german sausage).

I quite like the look of the rear skirt.

Bill

oscar

The shepherd's daughter!  She's missing from the first pic. :o

When I was thinking about tossing my hat in the ring for the kit and searching for photos, I stumbled across the white 7.3?L, 6.9, from Victoria? I think.  I'm sure the pics have been posted in the forum before.  It has the chrome/SS bits removed from above the rocker panels so one could see clearly how the sides with the wavy edges went on behind the sill trim piece.  The front I had some idea about but I'm clueless about the rear skirt how it seamlessly blends in.  I couldn't work out from the ebay ad or other pics how it's attached.  Have to agree with you though, I really like the rear skirt too.  Nothing too pronounced or loud.  Quite stylish IMO and the whole lot goes together better and looks more natural than any other kits we've seen like Lorinser and Ludwig.

TJ 450

Yes, it's very tasteful in an AMG sort of way I reckon.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

s class

Thanks Bill.  We are familiar with the front shot, but this is now much better resolution than we've seen before.  Interestingly, we can now see that it has recaros for the front seats. 

What is perhaps most surprising that can be seen in the photos is that the car does NOT have the AMG badge on the trunk lid. 

nathan

attached are some pics of the silver 7.2L 6.9 that has been noted on the east coast. i understand it was sold from david byrne to ronb (the man who sold the AMG kit!) but im not 100% on this.
oscar, shephards daughter - classic  ;) i just referred to her as the piss puddle girl!

1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

WGB

Quote from: nathan on 27 June 2010, 03:13 AM
attached are some pics of the silver 7.2L 6.9 that has been noted on the east coast. i understand it was sold from david byrne to ronb (the man who sold the AMG kit!) but im not 100% on this.
oscar, shephards daughter - classic  ;) i just referred to her as the piss puddle girl!

Yes it was RonB who is best known on the M100 site. Thanks for the photos Nathan.

German shepherd's daughters like wearing fur but as an ex-kiwi  I was raised on wool ::)

Quote from: Mforcer on 22 June 2010, 02:42 PM
It is difficult to see just which pieces you have but I very much look forward to seeing them on your car.

Here are the pieces laid out but I forgot to include the painted SE trim pieces that were included

Quote from: s class on 23 June 2010, 02:32 AM

The difference is subtle and I think they are actually the same pieces but the ends are twisted at the lower outer edge

The first picture shows a standard insert

The second picture shows the ones included with the AMG parts which seem a little flatter and fit the spoiler better - it just may be a matter of the mounting points twisting the ends a little or alternatively the insert being heated and straightened a little.

Quote from: oscar on 26 June 2010, 11:44 PM
The shepherd's daughter!  She's missing from the first pic. :o
The front I had some idea about but I'm clueless about the rear skirt how it seamlessly blends in.  I couldn't work out from the ebay ad or other pics how it's attached. .

Both the daughter's are in the second picture ;D

The rear skirts are in two pieces - left and right. They are held at the rear by fasteners that are hidden under the bumper and at the wheelarch by fasteners through the plastic like mudflaps. As well there are two coachbolts built into the fibreglass with the threads only visible internally which bolt into holes drilled into the lower boot panel. The top edge of the side fits exactly along the crease line in the lower side panel.

Bill