News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

AMG Color Scheme

Started by Mforcer, 08 September 2011, 12:52 AM

Should I paint the chrome/shiny bits?

Yes - Body color
3 (27.3%)
Yes - Other color
0 (0%)
No. Have them re-chromed.
7 (63.6%)
No. Just polish them.
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: 22 September 2011, 12:52 AM

Mforcer

If it is decided that my chrome and other shiny bits are too deteriorated, what should I do with them?

Here is an AMG with the shiny bits painted body colour (dark blue):

This page shows various W107, W123 and W116 with the various options;
http://www.amg-classics.de/4677/4731.html

Is this too much red (brilliant red is less red and less bright)?
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

MB_Mike

I am considering this myself. I think the shiny bits painted body color makes for a more subtle look, but painted black it gives the car a very aggressive look.

I think either of these options can only be done properly with a combination of spoiler and wheels of your choosing.

Sorry to use 123 cars but photos of AMG'd 116 cars are rare as hen's teeth.

1987 Home market 560 SEL

Shaun Roffe

I like your thinking Mb-Mike its always better to compare between them and choose what you want and what you might not like

toxonix

I've liked the look of black trim on silver or white, but it's not for everybody. I have a chrome grille with most of the chrome gone and some deep pitting. I've ground it down, etched and polished. It doesn't polish nicely once it's pitted. The aluminum brightwork is not such a problem as the chrome on the bumpers. I have the euro bumpers which while they have good rubber, do not have good chrome. They are about as bad as the grille. I was also back and forth about cleaning up and painting them with suitable body colors, but I think I'm going to find someone who has a silver nitrate spray system (spectra-chrome)

Casey

Replace what's affordable, replate what's not, don't give up the shiny.  If I had a red W116 I would consider getting them gold-plated as gold looks rather amazing against red.  If you do paint them please don't use the body color - the car loses it's appeal entirely.

Mforcer

I don't think I would go gold coloured. Black against red would look great I think but part of the appeal of all the classic Merc's (and most classic cars, for that matter) is the chrome.

I don't think my shiny bots are bad but will consider all options while the opportunity is there :)

That nitrate spray system (spectra-chrome) looks to be a great option. I'll need to investigate its durability though.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

MB_Mike

I just had a thought. Maybe you could have the bumpers wrapped in body colored vinyl by one of those places that wraps mass transit busses with advertising. That way you can try out the look and if you dont like it, no loss just peel it off. Maybe secure an extra set of bright work from a parts car and paint the set in worse shape. Now you can always return the car back to original.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

300SDude

I would never cover the chrome on my 116. Actually, I want to get the chrome fender trim that goes in the wheel arches and am debating on some triple-chromed stock wheels. ($700 + they want my original wheels in exchange).

They sure are pretty, and since I don't really drive the car but maybe 20 times during the summer, I wouldn't worry about the winter weather on them.

Just my opinion though. I have always been a sucker for lots of shiny chrome.

300SDude

MB_Mike

Here is my ultimate plan (depending on which of my personalities wins out over what to do with the car)

Then add 15" AMG pentas and French Euro lights.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

300SDude

OK, that does look pretty slick, I have to admit.

I like the look of the Lorinser Mercedes-Benz 450 SEL 6.9 that I see online everywhere.

I love the euro lights and the wipers on them. I always have. I think it just makes the car look  more clean along the front, and those blasted plastic covers that go around the American headlights suck. Both sides of mine are broken, but I have them attached under the hood fairly well. I haven't even tried looking for replacements for them as long as they still look OK and aren't missing pieces.

I am thinking of getting the windows tinted for Christmas since the back window is a giant magnifying glass to the interior. (Although, I park it inside most of the time).

300SDude

Casey

Quote from: MB_Mike on 10 September 2011, 11:16 AM

What's special about French lights?

WGB

Quote from: MB_Mike on 10 September 2011, 11:16 AM

I thought most Penta's were 16" (Mine are).

AFAIK The yellow french lights are only yellow plastic reflector covers that fit internally.

I sometimes think of painting the chrome on my car but I quite like the look with the chrome left exposed.

The rest of the AMG kit is taking shape and really only awaiting final paint when I get the time to finish it.

I have finished lengthening the side skirts from SE to SEL, filled in the hole in the rear skirt that once held  a towbar and am waiting for the weather to warm up to shoot the paint.

Here is a rear view with the fitting up of the rear skirt commencing.

Bill

MB_Mike

Looking good Bill!

Most AMG road wheels aka pentas were 16 but they were also available in 15. According to the library here:

7 X 15 Silver Centre, C-Type (5 Spoke) 15mm offset  7400039 

Those are exactly what I have. I think a 15 would be better suited to the lower powered 280 anyway.

As for the French lights, there isn't anything particularly special about them, I just like the look.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

300SDude

WGB~

I like the AMG ground kit. I think they look cool on the 116.

300SDude

300SDude

I like the look of this one, it looks pretty bad-ass!

300SDude

I like this one too.