News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

AMG Color Scheme

Started by Mforcer, 08 September 2011, 12:52 AM

Should I paint the chrome/shiny bits?

Yes - Body color
3 (27.3%)
Yes - Other color
0 (0%)
No. Have them re-chromed.
7 (63.6%)
No. Just polish them.
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: 22 September 2011, 12:52 AM

Casey

Quote from: 300SDude on 14 September 2011, 11:21 AM

That's a nice color.  Reminds  me of my first Mercedes:

Big_Richard

Painted chrome will look shyzenhousen in my opinion. If ur going to the expense you are then I'd get quotes on rechroming.

I can't remember what I paid but it would of been around 4k total for chrome. Didn't re-annodise the aluminum bits tho.

Mforcer

It is amazing how a short reply can sway me back to keeping it original ::)

There would be minimal cost to me for painting the parts. Replacing the shiny bits with new from MB is not as bad as I expected but more than I wanted to spend.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Big_Richard

Shizenhousen is the key word(s), the length of the crap either side is irrelevant ;)

oscar

To be honest I don't mind the painted chrome n anodised trim.  First saw it in photos on that deep blue Stuttgart AMG 6.9 and it gave me the idea that it's a valid option if I went a dark colour repaint.  How reversible would it be though if you changed your mind and it did look shizenhousen?  Assuming 2K would be used.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Big_Richard

stone chips are going to be bright silver ;)

and there WILL be stone chips.

oscar

True, and I think I'd loose interest in patching those after a while. 
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Tony66_au

If you really have your heart set on black trim, talk to a GOOD Electroplater and they will show you some interesting options.

Mforcer

I would expect that the chrome would be sanded back to the point that a stone chip would show no differently to a stone chip on the rest of the metal body.

I don't have the funds to redo the chrome and other shiny bits and, when/if I ever do, it would involve buying new bits from MB anyway.

The question is what looks better; old shiny bits not looking perfect or painted bits looking fresh along with the rest of the new paint?

I would still like to hear from Nutz as I know he had started something similar with a red car too.

I will likely keep everything original but will throw the idea around until parts start going back onto the car.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

ponton

I personally would go with the re-chrome.  Just had the rear bumper that is NLA on a BMW E3 rechromed at a shop that does work on multi-million dollar Ferraris and they even had to take out quite a few dents in the center section and it was only a grand.  It looks so good I am considering haveing the brand new front bumper re-chromed.  If you decide to go the paint route though I would make sure to strip the metal back to the steel because the painted chrome I have seen, even from the factory has had adhesion problems.

Ian

WGB

I have made the conscious decision to keep my chrome even though my car should end up with a full AMG kit over xmas.

I have been slowly replacing bits and pieces via the classic centre - Irvine as and when I have some spare coinage but I am sure a good chromer would get a better finish as some of the parts left in stock are quite dull.

I think a silver AMG looks good with it's chrome intact - may be I would think diferently if it was a dark colour - and it gets around the criticism of -"It was only AMG'd because the chrome was crap".

Bill

Big_Richard

Quote from: WGB on 23 November 2011, 09:07 PM

I think a silver AMG looks good with it's chrome intact - may be I would think diferently if it was a dark colour - and it gets around the criticism of -"It was only AMG'd because the chrome was crap".

You wouldn't get that kind of rudeness here  8)

I can thoroughly recommend the mob that did mine, however the owner of the establishment is a very eccentric character. I can therefor only recommend privately if interested. I know nathan has a contact too that did goldie.

Bandolero

The French lights have yellow fog-lights in them, not the normal clear ones and I agree, they certainly look great!
Russell Bond - (Adelaide, South Australia)
1978 450SEL 6.9 .... #5166 .... 12/78 (Sold.) [url="//www.ezycoat.com.au"]www.ezycoat.com.au[/url]