News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

Airbox

Started by Big_Richard, 12 December 2009, 04:21 AM

TJ 450

Nice work! I like your choice of foam, too.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

front and rear foot vent unit,

this is what it looks like prior to molestation

This is after the plastic cover is removed (riveted and glued) care must be taken here.

there is no easy way of getting the flaps out of this unit, its not designed to be serviced, rather thrown away and a new one purchased. They are still available new for $800US - Screw that! I was able to remove the flap by flexing the housing, nothing broke.

Big_Richard

Quote from: TJ 450 on 24 December 2009, 03:55 AM
Nice work! I like your choice of foam, too.

Tim

I knew pink foam would be right up your alley TJ ;)

TJ 450

Hahaha.

I'm going to pull apart my HVAC box tonight. It looks like fun. ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

i got heaps of foam here if you want any.

I'm uncertain at this stage about my hinge foaming method.

I have the correct OEM grade 5mm thick hinge foam, but do not own a hot wire foam slicer, so instead the pink foam is 2.5mm thick, but 4x the density @2.5mm versus the 5mm foam. So basically the hinge is the same thickness, but 8x more dense, it seems to be OK so far, although considerably more effort is required to actuate it ;)

s class

Thanks for this valuable info Major Tom.

I must say, I now wonder how anyone can refoam the hinges in situ?  It looks difficult enough with the air box removed.

a comment on the US$800 NOS units - they are also going to be 30 years old, but OK they haven't seen the same heat and temperature cycling as ones in cars, but I would still question if they would be a wise investment. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

one foot flap done;

time for the next.

s class

Quote from: Major Tom on 24 December 2009, 03:57 AM

Is that how you found it?  Basically a complete loss of foam. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

yep, and if its not at that stage, when you touch it, it turns into powder and falls straight off anyway.

all of the crappy 30 year old contact adhesive cleaned off quite easily. I'm glad to also note that these flaps are galvanised, which makes sense, being in a cold, damp environment all the time.

Big_Richard

the last of the foot vent activities for today

Now its time to assemble this section, plastic bearings are lubricated, flaps are adjusted so as to move in perfect synchronisation.

Big_Richard

my method of refoaming the hinged flaps was a 100% complete success!

Movement is fluid smooth, i could not ask for more.

:D

s class

Awesome.   I hope you are rewarded with powerful airflow in your car. 

Big_Richard

an interesting thing about the foam hinges, those flaps do not travel in a perfect arc like say a door does, thanks to the positioning of the actuating levers axle and the relative stop positions. Someone once asked why cant these hinges be made of metal - well, that just wouldn't work. I assume this style of air flap is employed in situations of restricted space, or to reduce the overall size of the device.

TJ 450

That's marvelous. I would certainly love to use some of that foam and I'm sure I can reimburse you as required.

I'm also sure it will make a profound difference, too.

In reference to "s class's" comment, I reckon that NOS part would have to be questionable. That type of foam rots, even when sitting in a warehouse.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

koan

Good pics MT, almost inspires to me to attack mine in the next few weeks, if it weren't for the dash corner cracking problem that is.

You mentioned hot wire foam cutting, I cut and shaped blocks of white styro foam with a tools fashioned out of the wire from a toaster element and a car battery.

Jaycar have "Nichrome Resistance Wire - 4 metre pack" in their catalogue, I think Dick Smith has it as well, would be a good start for a DIY tool.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!