News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Airbox

Started by Big_Richard, 12 December 2009, 04:21 AM

KenM

Hi PB,
          What you want to clean that coil so it looks like new is some specific refrigeration coil cleaner, go find a refrigeration parts wholesaler, like Actrol, Heatcraft or Airefrig, the stuff you want is called 4X (not beer believe it or not), this stuff is the duck's, but watch it cause is a very strong alkili, you will need gloves, facemask etc. You wet the coil and pour or spray this stuff on neat, let it sit for 5 -10 minutes, do it in a well ventilated area. What it does is sink into the coil and then it heats up and expands and brings all of the crap out of the coil with it, takes off paint and all, you won't believe the results. Just make sure you seal off your pipe ends very well, no moisture in there at all. Give it a go you won't be disappointed.
Cheers,
Ken

Big_Richard

Cheers Ken, I'll have a hunt around for it on my holidays. Hopefully it can be purchased by random Joe's like me as i don't have a frigies ticket or any other certification that legally empowers me to obtain or purchase hazardous chemicals etc.

In regards to the foam hinged air flaps that cause jamming of the levers. I have noticed them, the foam "hinge" is made of a different type of foam to whats applied to all the flaps and seems to outlast it in terms of life. Mine are still intact and I've never had jamming troubles, though, i will replace them anyway.

I think i will need about 4 square miles of foam for this project, there are 10 flaps at the last count. 2 in the fan motor housing, and 8, yes 8! in the air box unit that are all made of metal covered with disintegrating foam.

I also discovered that the rubber tube in the fan motor housing that's used for cooling the fan motor via pressurised air itself was totally clogged with leave litter, so no doubt the motor wasn't very happy. Worth a look thats for sure. This system really was beyond the end of its designed lifespan.

KenM

PB,
     You don't need any special licenses to buy this stuff, I know Actrols sell it, they have branches at Os Park, Belmont and O'Connor, you only need a 1 litre bottle, call them to check they have it on the shelf. When they ask who you work for, just tell them it's for a backyarder and you want to put it on visa, won't be a problem. I forgot to add that of course you rinse it all off afterwards, you will know when it's finished working, it spits and crackles a bit when the gunk is coming out of the coil, when the whole thing starts to deflate like a soufle, hose it all off. You can get sticky backed foam tape there too, several different sizes that should do for your flap seals etc.
Cheers,
Ken

Big_Richard

awesome, thanks for the tip  8)

koan

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 13 December 2009, 06:40 AM
I have noticed them, the foam "hinge" is made of a different type of foam to whats applied to all the flaps and seems to outlast it in terms of life. Mine are still intact and I've never had jamming troubles, though, i will replace them anyway.

So the hinges are actually foam, what a crap idea.

I thought the problem was lack of foam allowed the flaps to move too far and jam on the wrong side of some hole.

Hope we (meaning you ;) ) can find some suitable material. 

Again, what a crap idea, I expected better of Mercedes-Benz.

koan

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

s class

PB, can you put up some photos of these hinges, and the linings around the flaps that deteriorate?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

Quote from: koan on 13 December 2009, 04:11 PM
Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 13 December 2009, 06:40 AM
I have noticed them, the foam "hinge" is made of a different type of foam to whats applied to all the flaps and seems to outlast it in terms of life. Mine are still intact and I've never had jamming troubles, though, i will replace them anyway.

So the hinges are actually foam, what a crap idea.

I thought the problem was lack of foam allowed the flaps to move too far and jam on the wrong side of some hole.

Hope we (meaning you ;) ) can find some suitable material. 

Again, what a crap idea, I expected better of Mercedes-Benz.

koan

Thats exactly what happens ;) I'll take a photo of it when i get home tonight, its really not that bad, its just the location of these flaps they need some kind of hinge or they will jam..

Big_Richard

Quote from: s class on 13 December 2009, 05:06 PM
PB, can you put up some photos of these hinges, and the linings around the flaps that deteriorate?

Certainly will, It'll just be in about 10 hours (after work) ;)

oscar

What a cool thread PB. No pun intended but man, when I think about the years the 350 spent outdoors I'm wondering what crap is blocking my evaporator.  All those comments in the past of "mine doesn't blow that cold" etc, just makes you wonder how many of us have blocked evaporators.  When I cut up that yellow 280 a couple yrs back I wanted to get the procedure down pat for removing everything under the dash.  I got bored and fustrated and ended up ditching the lot before I got to the airbox.   This is a great reference thread and will come in handy.  Great work man... you get a smiley stamp.  :)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Big_Richard

I'm glad I could be of assistance, for a change  8)

What I really need to do is a step by step guide on disassembly and reassembly. Perhaps a youtube video of its refurbishment. Clearly I would have to be the director and not the star .

But in reality, if you have the nards to remove the interior to the point that i have, the airbox refurbishment is a peice of cake  8)

69ltr

Glad to see someone else having a play with these things. I have three apart at the moment so may offer an exchange service once I sort a fer little dramas .
Getting the correct thickness of foam so that the hinges actually work and not jam from being too tight is the problem. I am useing a closed cell foam instead of the open cell
stuff that was used originally.
I actually found a dead mouse in 1 of mine that looked like it got it there in around 1983.

Darren

Big_Richard

Quote from: 69ltr on 14 December 2009, 12:35 AM
Glad to see someone else having a play with these things. I have three apart at the moment so may offer an exchange service once I sort a fer little dramas .
Getting the correct thickness of foam so that the hinges actually work and not jam from being too tight is the problem. I am useing a closed cell foam instead of the open cell
stuff that was used originally.
I actually found a dead mouse in 1 of mine that looked like it got it there in around 1983.

Darren

wow, that would of provided a very pleasant driving experience while the carcass was decomposing, until it got to the stage of being the dried husk you saw before you.  ::)

I wonder how long they searched for that smell ?  8)

Big_Richard

I would also be interested in an exchange refoamed flap service, it'd sure beat having to do it my self - but only if it can be done pretty quick as my holidays start next week and thats when i intend to buggerize around with these flaps  8)

SELfor50

WTF??  A dead mouse?? Damn......  

I second that too PB, great thread.  I never knew there was another coil unit behind there as well.  Gonna hvae to get busy on the track car, probably another 10-20kg's there overall.  Maybe more..

Is there any way to get the evaporative unit out without removing all the dash/heater box?
Can you go through the grill at the front to pull it out?

Big_Richard

Quote from: SELfor50 on 14 December 2009, 05:28 AM
Is there any way to get the evaporative unit out without removing all the dash/heater box?
Can you go through the grill at the front to pull it out?

Just rip the whole box out with fan, it wieghs half a ton and really isnt necessary in a race car ;)

The only way to remove the evap coil is to remove the box as far as i'm aware.