News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

A#%hole Lights

Started by benzjarr, 16 April 2010, 11:09 PM

benzjarr

I got the idea from an earlier topic about trading lights, with some simple splicer crimps I now have asshole lights.  This is a pic of my low beams       03/79 U.S spec 450SEL

Opinions?

oscar

Damn - did you say low beam?  I swear, even on my LCD screen the hi beams are burning my retinas.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

benzjarr

Yes those are low beam, I now have four low and four high plus my fog lamps..... overkill?

Big_Richard

awesome.

Only concern would be to ensure that all associated cabling is of an adequate gauge to not be overheating on a long drive from the additional current draw. The last thing you want is melted cabling in the engine bay/under the dash as it could literally spell the end for the car.

benzjarr

how would you suggest doing that? Just check it often after using the lights? Also the fog lamps are on a whole other wire.

Big_Richard

Nfi, just ensure the insulation isn't smouldering or melting ;)

TJ 450

You might find that the relay is the first thing to overheat, if there is too much current draw. This was what I experienced when I fitted 80/100w H4s to my old Volvo. Basically, the point of most resistance will overheat first and that is probably the contacts in the relay or whatever. Then, if the relay is able to cope, the wiring would overheat.

Hopefully this doesn't happen. 8)

Nice lights though... they're really never bright enough are they?

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

do w116's have headlight relays ?

I'm sure they probably do, no idea where they are though, probably in that row of 6 or 8 under the drivers kick panel. Would love a diagram explaining what all of those are, i know one of them is for the auxilary fan/ignition timing vacuum valve.

motec6.9

Hi guys when running more lights you should have a  separate relay for inner and outer lights back in 98 i had a 69 Galaxie coupe that i had fitted with clear lens sealed beam high beam lights and because they were light aircraft landing lights  to stop them from over heating i had monaroe auto elec in Qeanbeyan wire up separate relays for those lights at the time they told me that at anytime the current draw is increased from standard separate relays should be imployed just for your information :)
Euro 6.9 255.6hp at the wheels. Watch this space.

Squiggle Dog

You practically have to turn all 4 headlights into low beams. The USA version lights are incredibly dim (almost useless other than letting other cars see you).
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

Papalangi

Quote from: benzjarr on 17 April 2010, 02:04 AM
Yes those are low beam, I now have four low and four high plus my fog lamps..... overkill?

Probably illegal and if I were to see you in on coming traffic, I'd flip my high beams and finger at you.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

benzjarr

Its legal in Tennessee to have six lights on your car at one time, plus around where I live everybody drives a truck or suv so screw them!

Papalangi

The law in Tennessee states,

Headlights on Motor Vehicles - Operating During Inclement Weather - Violation - Penalty - Costs.
55-9-406

(a)  The headlights of every motor vehicle shall be so constructed, equipped, arranged, focused, aimed, and adjusted, that they will at all times mentioned in § 55-9-401, and under normal atmospheric conditions and on a level road produce a driving light sufficient to render clearly discernible a person two hundred feet (200") ahead, but shall not project a glaring or dazzling light to persons in front of such headlights. Such headlights shall be displayed during the period from one-half (½) hour after sunset to one-half (½) hour before sunrise, during fog, smoke, or rain and at all other times when there is not sufficient light to render clearly discernible any person on the road at a distance of two hundred feet (200") ahead of such vehicle.

(b)  (1)  Operation of headlights during periods of rain, as required in this section, shall be made during any time when rain, mist, or other precipitation, including snow, necessitates the constant use of windshield wipers by motorists.

(2)  Notwithstanding any provision of the law to the contrary, any person who is arrested or receives a traffic citation for violation of the provisions of this subsection (b), upon conviction, shall not be fined more than the maximum fine nor less than the minimum fine as provided by law for such violation nor shall any cost be imposed or assessed against such person. Such conviction shall not be reported to the department of safety under the provisions of §§ 55-10-306 and 55-12-115.

(3)  No cost shall be charged under this subsection (b).

(4)  A violation of this subsection (b) is a Class C misdemeanor.

[Acts 1931, ch. 82, § 15; 1937, ch. 245; C. Supp. 1950, § 2700.16 (Williams, § 2695); Acts 1970, ch. 359, § 1; 1979, ch. 217, §§ 1, 2, 3, 5; T.C.A. (orig. ed.), § 59-909; Acts 1989, ch. 591, § 113.]

Unless you change out the inner lights to low beams, you are breaking the law in Tennessee.  The high beam pattern is much different than the low beam pattern.  It is not focused in such a way as to prevent dazzle or glare to on coming traffic.  That and most people have no idea how to properly aim their fog lamps.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

benzjarr

Actually I did change the inner lights to low beams if you would read the post it says "I now have four low beams and four high beams plus my fog lamps" and I'm also glad you know how to use Google, I just called my local 211 operator ;)

Big_Richard

do the USA headlights have a provision for adjusting the the sealed beams, I'd assume the low beams would be adjustable, but are the high beam housings adjustable ?

As long as both sets of low beams are adjusted correctly, there should be no dazzling of the oncoming drivers.