News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Adam's 6.9 restoration (part 3)

Started by adamb, 03 July 2011, 04:22 PM

adamb

It has taken some time to complete the welding on the inner arches, reweld the boot legs, etc. Now all the parts are ready and have been primed with an initial coat as may be seen below. There is some reassembly and a lot of hand polishing to be done before the car is primed again and the paint is applied. Looks good in matt black though, doesn't it?

Having seen these guy's work I have no doubt that the end result will be amazing. In my other post tonight you may have seen some of my Goodwood photos. Well, although not seen in pictures, there was also a new Jaguar Speedster in exactly the paint colour that I'm going for so I'm in good company :)  I'm going for black with a little pearlescent red.

mirafioriman

I love this bit, putting the paint on is my favourite part of a restoration :)
I'm called Dave! I currently own: Mercedes W116 450 SEL 6.9, Mercedes W109 300 SEL 6.3, Mercedes W126 420 SEL, Fiat 130 Berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta and a Citroen Xantia.

TJ 450

Looking very good indeed. :)

Is that a clear over base system?

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

I hear rumors that in the UK they use water based car paints now due to environmental concerns.

Is this what they're spraying ?

gavin116

Hi Adam

That's starting to look very exciting.  Can't wait for the next instalment of photos.  Will be good to see the car in the flesh so to speak.  Are you still going to fit all the trim pieces back yourself?  If you are still planning to do so, drop us a line, it might be a good time to finally meet up, and I could lend you a hand if needed.

Gavin
1979 450SE "Mrs White"
2022 Touareg-R 3.0TSi Hybrid
[url="http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/"]http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/[/url]
[url="http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613"]http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613[/url]

calvin streeting

looking good.. bet you cannot wait to drive it again .. :)

nathan

that kinda looks like MTs and TJs paint job, but you have professionals, a proper booth and equipment, and no cats to be seen... ;)
best of luck with the job.  the car will look great. i dont envy you putting it back together, that is a painful job!
ps did you source some carpet mats in the end?
regards
nathan
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

s class

That looks great.  I take it the black is intended as a guide coat, or a cover coat under the black topcoat. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

adamb

Let me try to answer all questions with one post:

TJ 450: Not sure what they are spraying first as I'm no paint expert.

Major Tom: silicone based paints are banned for new cars in UK though I understand that they are obtainable for historic vehicles. Mine will be a modern two coat paint. Pro finish.

Gavin: I'm doing the main external pieces myself. If you look back at the condition in which the car was driven to the workshop, that's the condition I'll get it back. All the same except for the shiny new paint! I am yet to make new headlining though I already have 3 metres of new material. Might need some help in which case I'll be sure to reach out :)

Calvin: you bet! I drove my mother's PT Cruiser to Goodwood. Spacious and comfy when standing still but what a pig to drive... and it's got no power (though I appreciated the 35mpg).

Nathan: I'm sure those guys are doing a sterling job. I wish I had more time to do some of the prep but have to pay the pros instead.

s class: The black is just primer but the surface needs finishing with ever finer paper until it's silky smooth. So a fair few hours of prep needs to happen before the paint goes on.

Big_Richard

Quote from: nathan on 04 July 2011, 08:37 AM
that kinda looks like MTs and TJs paint job, but you have professionals, a proper booth and equipment, and no cats to be seen... ;)

Jerk  8)

WGB

Looking great - just make sure it is rust proofed when you are finished.

Bill

Tony66_au

I always get a thrill watching colour go back on a car as its the moment of truth and where you find out if the body work is complete or not.

Just a word on 2 pac paints, In all civilised countries it is now becoming increasingly difficult to source  Isocynanate in paints, I know that Iso paints in Oz are pretty much all gone and the "Water based" 2 pacs are now de rigeur.

There are still some imported super high qual paints from the USA however that still have ISOcyanide in them but they too are subject to available stock which is almost all gone and having seen a mate paint his project in a high qual new style 2 pac from PPG it is brilliant and pretty much flows from the gun nice enough to ensure you need minimal labour after the paint is set to achieve an awesome finish.

Great to see Adam and keep up the great work!

Tony

Big_Richard

iso 2 pack is readily available from the auto paint store in my very next suburb. I do suspect one day it will vanish or become a controlled substance requiring some kind of licence to purchase. At the moment, no checks are done and anyone can buy it.

jjb-w116-hu

hey guys - what is the bit in the wheel arche in the foto above the painted door? is this the inner fender or ?
how hard is it to get the outter off? i'd be keen to see if i have any rust issues there?
although most of my leaks etc seem to be from seals and not the horrid firewall or wiper grille area :) fingers crossed ...

adamb

The outer part I know as the wing. On mine the wings were a pain to take off. They seem to be sealed as well as bolted. The left side was in a bad condition. After they stripped the paint it was clear that the panel was damaged and welded in the past. So we chose to replace it. Taking the wing off destroyed it. Underneath there were small rust holes so it pays to remove the wing when going this far.