News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Adam's 6.9 restoration (part 1)

Started by adamb, 03 April 2011, 08:12 AM

adamb

I wanted to share you with these images taken yesterday morning when I visited Mohan in the workshop. As you can see most removable bits have been removed, blasted clean of rust and set aside ready for prep work. When I took the car to the workshop in late February, I had removed door trims, chrome, plastic, rubber and aluminium trim. The workshop removed all door internals in order to do a clean job. The guys were happy to report that there are no horror stories under the old paint. One exception is the near side front wing which has been welded and patched up in the past. This will need to be replaced with a clean panel from a breaker. I am not yet showing the sunroof frame which will need extensive repair to stop future leaks.

Restoration gallery
Pre-restore winter photos

I am quite impressed with how it's going so far. What you see in pictures has taken 30 hours to do. There is still 2-3 times this much work to go until the car is done and is wearing its new shiny coat.

s class

That's pretty exciting stuff.  What are they going to do about that right rear arch?  Weld in a replacement arch?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

jbrasile

Nice Adam!

Have you decided on a color? Are you going to remove the engine to restore the engine bay as well?

Tks,

Joe

adamb

Quote from: s class on 03 April 2011, 09:20 AM
That's pretty exciting stuff.  What are they going to do about that right rear arch?  Weld in a replacement arch?

I've got repair sections for both rear wheel arches. These will be welded in place soon.

adamb

Quote from: jbrasile on 03 April 2011, 09:28 AM
Nice Adam!

Have you decided on a color? Are you going to remove the engine to restore the engine bay as well?

Tks,

Joe

Thanks! Yes, the colour is going to be bespoke - black with 10% pearlescent red. Purists will not be happy!!

The engine will stay in place. We will paint black all around or I might wait until it needs to come out. At the moment there is no reason to remove the engine other than under bonnet aesthetics which are not my priority.

WGB

Thanks for the photos.

Best of luck.

Bill

Mforcer

Quote from: adamb on 03 April 2011, 01:35 PM
Yes, the colour is going to be bespoke - black with 10% pearlescent red. Purists will not be happy!!

That colour sounds great. Looking forward to seeing it!
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

jjb-w116-hu

hi everyone, as there is a lot of painting going on and i've been contemmplating for a while the most efficient way to do it - i am keen to remove all the doors and strip them right back also. how hard is it to remove (or costly to replace) the chrome inlays that go around the windows' edge?
anyone know what its actually called so i may ask the local parts stockists?

koan

Quote from: jjb-w116-hu on 03 April 2011, 10:48 PM

Try window garnish molding, I bought one years ago.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

TJ 450

I wish I could see the pics... my internet connection is slow as hell at the moment.

It sounds like a very thorough project though.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

adamb

Quote from: jjb-w116-hu on 03 April 2011, 10:48 PM
hi everyone, as there is a lot of painting going on and i've been contemmplating for a while the most efficient way to do it - i am keen to remove all the doors and strip them right back also. how hard is it to remove (or costly to replace) the chrome inlays that go around the windows' edge?

The doors were sand blasted first to remove all rust. It's possible to strip them down yourself. Not too hard after doing the first one. After that you need to pay professionals or find friends with equipment. As for flattening the metal for preparation to painting, I think experience and good tools are essential. The paint will not look good unless the surface is flawless. I don't have the time or space to do any of that so have to pay a garage. I still did most of the stripping myself so feel like I am participating in the event rather than just being a passenger.