News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

A/C Dash Sensor question

Started by 300SDude, 02 June 2011, 07:17 PM

300SDude

Hi~

I just ordered a dash overlay for my 116 and the hole for the air sensor is square, and the hole in the new overlay is round.

I popped the sensor up out of the old dash, and it is round under it's square top. It should match-up just fine with the new overlay.

I tried the pull the sensor up out of the dash to see if I could unhook it to put the overlay on, but when I pull on it, it's obviously attached to something, so I can't pull it all the way out of the dash.

Does anyone know how I can get to that sensor to unhook it? I have never taken anything out of that dash or a Mercedes for that matter.......I don't want to mess anything up trying to get to it.

Thanks,
300SDude

1980sdga

I haven't removed one but I have worked around it.  If you remove the glove box liner you can gain access to the back of the sensor. 

To remove the glove box liner you'll have to remove the plastic "push pins" around the inside of the opening.  I think there are 6. The sensor will be pretty accessible once you do this.

While you're in there you may want to check the foam "sniffer tube". It runs from the sensor to another tube that runs vertically on the left side of the glovebox. I replaced my foam tube with some pipe insulation from the hardware store.

Good luck!

300SDude

Thanks! I didn't even think about going through the glove box! Duh!

I was looking at the dash wondering how much of it I would have to take apart to get to it.

I will definitely try that though. I think I only have 10 days to return the overlay and I just got it today.

It has been completely redone with fresh paint and new interior. This about the last thing I need to do to make it look almost perfect. :)

300SDude

1980sdga

I'd like to see more of your WVO setup.

300SDude

I'll have to go out and take some pictures of it tomorrow. I don't have any of the set-up in this car. We also have a '94 GMC Suburban that has the same system in it. You can see some pictures of it here: Link

The system that is in the Mercedes doesn't have anything electrical hooked to it to make it work, it is all mechanical. The Suburban does have an electric pump that comes-on when you switch it to veggie oil because it draws it all the way from the back of the truck. We've probably put about 5000 miles on the system in the Suburban

I just put about 150 miles on it running the Mercedes on veggie oil, and it runs flawlessly. (And yes, it does smell like french fries coming out of the exhaust). I process all of our own veggie oil that I get from a couple of places. It takes me about 2 hrs. to filter and process the veggie oil. I can make about 15 gallons in that time, which is a full tank in either vehicle.

Both systems are greasecar systems. You can see their products at Link

We bought both vehicles for the sole purpose of having the systems installed.

We have re-done everything on the Mercedes from having new interior to new paint. You can see some before and after pictures here: Link

I'll try and get some pix of the veggie system tomorrow while I am trying to do the dashboard boogie, lol.

I was going to upload some pictures to the gallery here, but I can't seem to find where to do it, lol.

Thanks again!

300SDude (Donnie)

300SDude

Thanks! taking the glovebox out was perfect! And yes, I do need to put new foam on the sensor.

So now.........I am going to put the dash overlay on, and apparently I need to take the covers off of the A pillars to mount it? Do you know how these come off? I don't see any screws or anything to undo to take them off.

Here is a pic:

I also took some pix of the Veggie System.

This is the tank that is in the trunk:

This is the oil filter and the splitter pumps that change it between diesel and vegetable oil. There is a fuel gauge and a rocker switch in place of the front ashtray inside that I use to switch between:

Thanks for all your help, it is greatly appreciated!

300SDude

jbrasile

300SDude,

The A pillar covers are held in place by some clips and usually a screw that is hidden under the vertical plastic strip in the door opening, not all I have seen have this screw on both sides but better safe than sorry....

To remove the vertical strip you remove its tiny philipps screw and VERY GENTLY start prying the top with a wooden or plastic spatula,  the strip has an ear that goes into a clip hidden by the edge of the dash. Now gently lift the strip so the hook that holds it onto the car clears its hole. You will now see the screw that holds the A pillar cover, remove that and GENTLY pull the cover towards you .

Tks,

Joe

300SDude

Thanks Joe! I'll go out and look at it after I get back from my nap. :)

I am assuming that the dash does go all the way under the cover. I wouldn't think I would have to cut-away that whole piece. If I do, then I am just going to send it back and deal with the 3 cracks in the dash.

Thanks,
300SDude

jbrasile

That's right 300SDdude,

These dash covers should fit completely over the original dash and go under the A-pillar covers, I have never installed one but can't you "bend" the edges just enough to slide them under the A-pillar panels without removing them? But always remember, plastic and glass have no memory....

Tks,

Joe

300SDude

I am having an issue with finding a single phillips screwdriver, and I have 8 buildings and live on 40 acres!

So, once I track one down, I am going to see how easy it is to take off.  :P  And no, there is definitely  no room between the original dash and the A-covers.

I've been mowing all day around here, so it may just wait until tomorrow, lol.

300SDude

300SDude

Yahoo! Thanks Joe!!! I found the screws and took the panels off and the dash overlay is going to fit perfectly! It looks awesome on there too, like a new car!

Now all I need is one good warm day to glue it on and it will be done. (LOL, we live about 2 hrs. South of Canada in WA..........it's hard to get a really warm day here right now).

I'll have to take a picture of it when it is on. I have to say, I am really impressed with the fit and the way it is going to look.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I would have been lost without you. :)

300SDude

jbrasile

300SDude,

When you have a chance post pictures of the dash cover installed.

Do you really need to glue it? I thought they fit so snugly that no glue was necessary. What do you do with the speaker grilles on the dash? If those could be somehow retained and installed on the new cover than it would look almost factory...

Tks,

Joe

300SDude

It doesn't fit quite that snugly. I'll glue it just so that it is in place securely. Although, I am very impressed with how well it does fit!

No, I am just going to go over the speaker grille's. I ordered the one with speakers and sensor holes cut in them. They are just pre-drilled holes in the dash overlay. I already re-did the stereo in it, so hopefully I won't ever have to get into the speakers, lol.

300SDude