News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

ABS

Started by Des, 04 January 2007, 06:05 PM

Des

this is interesting:

Notice that it mentions ABS can be have had, presumably with any of the diff ratio's offered

Why though does the ABS have anything to do with the diff?

ABS is supposed to be Antiblockiersystem,

WGB

I have never seen an ABS system on a 116 but it apparently was an option from 1978 on.

I have owned a 126 in the past with ABS and assume the system was the same. The 126 had a 3 channel system with sensors on each of the front hubs and another sensor on the input side of the diff. Thus if you had ABS and wanted a new diff you would have needed one of the diffs with the sensor plate (rotor) built in.

Most newer systems have 4 channel systems with the sensors on all 4 hubs.

As my 126 was one of the first cars around with ABS it was tried out a lot by myself and various friends on all sorts of surfaces and alway worked perfectly - even with only 3 channels.

Bill Babe

Des

Quote from: WGB on 06 January 2007, 02:13 AM
I have never seen an ABS system on a 116 but it apparently was an option from 1978 on.

This is from car #6857, notice the ABS setup there on the front right corner.

WGB

Looks the same as my memory of my 126 300SE.

It would appear to be a 3 channel system as it has three pipes exiting from the top.

Bill Babe

Des

This is the other clear shot I have from the AMG at the classic center.

oscar

Do these have a different washer bottle due to ABS being there?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

James R

Slightly off-thread but has anyone ever retro-fitted ABS to their car ?
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

WGB

Non 6.9's with RHD have their washer bottle tucked in behind the battery near the right front of the car behind the headlight.

Bill Babe

oscar

Quote from: styria on 07 January 2007, 03:25 PM
Hi Oscar, left hand drive vehicles have their washer bottle on the inner right guard close to the cruise control actuatuator that is located quite close to the firewall. Regards, Styria
Quote from: WGB on 07 January 2007, 07:37 PM
Non 6.9's with RHD have their washer bottle tucked in behind the battery near the right front of the car behind the headlight.

Thanks guys!!
I knew the 6.9's oil resevoir behind the battery necessitated a different location for the washer bottle, but I always though it went where the ABS is shown.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

Des

so would the diff center from a ABS W126 be a bolt up exchange for a 6.9?

I guess it would be easier to track down a wrecked ABS W126 here in australia than a W116 with ABS

don't even think they were sold here, never seen one.

WGB

I have gone into my copy of WIS and although no 116 material is given I have printed the documentation for a 126 - 560 Diff.
This system is a bit more complicated as it has a rotor on each front axle, one in the diff and one on each rear axle hub. It uses the first three for the ABS and the rear hub two for the ASD system - making 5 channels in all.

The diff itself has a slotted rotor on the input shaft midway between the two input bearings with the casing cast to take a sensor which pushes into a circular hole in the side of the casing to read the rotor. There are 4 different rotors with different numbers of slots depending on which of the 4 diff ratios were used.

I will scan in the two pages into a PDF document and are happy to e-mail it to anyone interested but think it is probably not appropriate to post it on the Forum as it is Copyright Daimler Chrysler.

Bill