News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

a sellection of new parts for my centre console

Started by Big_Richard, 26 October 2007, 04:33 AM

Big_Richard

I'm aware that i have the USA style hazard switch, it was intentional, as i wanted a little bit of difference. I have modified it to work correctly in my AU version car, as otherwise the writing would of read upside down...

All chrome was clean and liquid sliver untill i got my greasy burger hands all over it.

the shifter housing has been revised, the texture is finer, and the chrome inserts are now chromed stainless steel, not chromed plastic that breaks after one use.

Andrew280SEL

Looks really nice PB. :)

Your hazard button is a welcome sight from the usual triangle, and I didn't know there were different ones.

Are the surrounds of the window buttons steel as well? Mine are crap and sort of flaking. Really cheap looking actually, I might replace them in time.
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

Des

looks good, looks good

would one be rude to ask what it all set you back?

I would wager a guess you wouldn't see much beer money left out of $1,000 AU for all these new pieces?

Big_Richard

Quote from: Andrew280SEL on 26 October 2007, 04:36 AM
Looks really nice PB. :)

Your hazard button is a welcome sight from the usual triangle, and I didn't know there were different ones.

Are the surrounds of the window buttons steel as well? Mine are crap and sort of flaking. Really cheap looking actually, I might replace them in time.

I'll look better when its all inserted into my award winning duva refinished wood. ;)

The switch surrounds are unfortunatly chromed plastic - theres bugger all you can do about it but replace them. They would probably look quite acceptable without the chrome and just have the black plastic bezel, atleast nothing is going to peel off then!

Big_Richard

Quote from: Des on 26 October 2007, 04:41 AM
looks good, looks good

would one be rude to ask what it all set you back?

I would wager a guess you wouldn't see much beer money left out of $1,000 AU for all these new pieces?

AC plate, $130
Fan knob $75
AC knob $175
ventilation slider bezels $75 per side
shifter housing $315
Becker fader $145
becker fader bezel $17.50
Hazard switch $80US
windows switches - cant remember.

Big_Richard

the shifter housing was one of 3 left on earth when i ordered. If you want one new, you better act now, because you'll never see them again, ever.

Andrew280SEL

I nearly fainted. ;)

Some of the prices, like the shifter housing, don't surprise me much...but for the AC knobs and Becker Fader... :o

I'm gonna have to really make sure I don't accidentally crack anything in my car(s). As it is, the fan knob on my 350 doesn't stay on properly...
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

WGB

Big_Richard

Quote from: WGB on 26 October 2007, 04:53 AM
Looks beautiful Patrick.

Enjoy,

Bill

I'm kinda stuck at the moment - I'm half starting to move house so i cant be bothered pulling the car apart now. Its going to be bare minimum of 2 months before my wood is refinished and back in my hands. most of my tools are moving homes this weekend so there will be no playing 6.9s for me for a while to come yet unfortunately.

These glorious parts offer some inspiration for the future of my interior though.

I have made my last w116 order today, my next one will come AFTER the big move and all is well  :o

Scary stuff!

CraigS

Do you mean revised by you, or this is a superseded part ?

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 26 October 2007, 04:33 AM

the shifter housing has been revised, the texture is finer, and the chrome inserts are now chromed stainless steel, not chromed plastic that breaks after one use.

[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

Big_Richard

Quote from: CraigS on 26 October 2007, 05:04 AM
Do you mean revised by you, or this is a superseded part ?

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 26 October 2007, 04:33 AM

Um no - im not that handy!

This is how they are now made - or the most up to date whats left anyway.

my original one had chromed plastic inserts that were broken and cruddy looking, the grippy texture around the sides is also courser in the early version. The current one has the stainless steel chromed clip in replaceable inserts, and also a much finer 1/10th courseness texture on the sides.

TJ 450

Now, that is what I call an awesome selection of parts!  :)
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

gregdeklerk

Your console is really going to look good when you have sorted out the wood. Be sure to post a picture when it is all done.

Des

You raise an interesting point there PB,
the console switches are chromed plastic and as soon as they loose some of the finish they look crap,

I would wager another guess that most people, who have original switches in there W116 are less than perfect,

I wonder, for the members who are familiar with the older W108/9 cars, can they advise if the console switches are identical? Or chromed metal?

CraigS

They are absolutely identical ! I buy these old switches when I see them cheap - which is not too often these days. The chrome peels off all of them at some point. Fortunately, I have a good collection of good ones, and replace them when and if needed.
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]