News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

A Leatherique Experience

Started by AMG69, 07 December 2006, 09:40 PM

AMG69

sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

s class

Thanks for that link,

I have been interested in leatherique for a while, but I dunno if I have the balls to apply sandpaper to my seats.  I may try it on my R107 first since its seats are a lot worse than my W116.

Ryan

OK, leatherique is for restoration, what do you guys use for periodic "feeding" of seats still in a good condition?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Brian Crump

I use Leatherique oil for regular feeding of the leather - it seems to work best if it is left on for a few days and then cleaned off with the Leatherique Prestine cleaner. I also use it on my briefcase, leather chairs etc and it keeps the leather supple. It will partly bring back dried leather in a car if you leave it on and sit the car in the sun. Now, as for repairing and colouring I have to admit to being a skeptic. I have seen restored seats from a Jaguar that were done professionally using the Leatherique filler and colour matched paint and they looked great. I also know you can have Connelly leather redone using the Connelly method. However, I am told that re-worked leather does not keep its good looks for long and that the filler falls out and the colour will peel off. I am interested to know if this is true or not.
Regards,
Brian

john skene

I have loaded Leatherique into a set of cream 116 seats over a period of time it made a real difference. Some areas seemed to take time to soak in but others soaked it up as fast as I put it on.

I also wiped it on my leather bound steering wheel (Holden Calais) a few times because it was rock hard from baking in the sun. I only used a small amount each time (like a few cc's) and it soaked in pretty well but didn't make any immediate difference except to start feeling sticky. The 3rd or 4th morning the whole wheel was really sticky and it was obviously time to clean the (what was now) film of black gunk all over it (sweat and oil that soaked in from my hands?).

Anyway, I tried the Pristine Clean, but found fresh water and a cloth got the gunk off very easily leaving a smooth flexible leather feel once again. It was hard to believe the difference in texture and feel. Its now 18 months later and I am about to do it again.

AMG69

OK, an update on my progress.  Over the last 4 weeks I've done the "Rejuvenator" stage; the "Pristine Clean" stage and now we are onto the fun stuff - the "Preparation Solution" stage which is combined with the wet sanding of the seats....I need one of these faces -  ::) - that has someone biting their nails nervously!!!  I completed the passenger seat sanding last night so I'll photograph that and log it in the Gallery with the "pre Leatherique" photos.  As "the instructions" say, we seem to have got rid of all imperfections and the tope layer of dye etc.   It seems to be looking as the instructions show......!!!!

I'll next be doing the crack filler and then last is ofcourse the dye.  I'm just doing the one seat first to see whether or not it comes up well or I make a complete disaster of it all.... ::)    We accountants are better with numbers than seat restoration!

Cheers

Chris

AMG69

Photos added to gallery section - if you've never seen "bare leather" (no dye) here is your chance!

s class

Chris,

I can't find your seat pics in the gallery, I would like to see them.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

AMG69

s class

Chris,

Thanks.  I'm very interested in your progress - I'm sure I'm not the only one.  PLease keep us updated. 

Thanks, Ryan

AMG69

Bit of relief today as I sent Photos to the Australian Leatherique Agent as I had a query about the consistency of the Crack Filler which I am about to apply;  They on sent my comments to USA Leatherique and here is their response to the email:

Hi Chris,
        If you're worried it's too liquid, take some out and leave it in the air for 1/2 an hour and it will thicken up. I passed on your comments to Leatherique in the States and this was their reply.

Best Rgds

Rob

Hi Rob;
The customer is doing a great job with their restoration. Perfect prepping, and the leather is looking nice and supple. The crack filler is made to be viscous so it can seep into the crack and bind it from the bottom.  The Rejuvenator will also help to plump the leather to prevent more cracking.  If he's using the filler on the top portion, he can put the seat in it's furthest lay back position.  You should use just a little at a time, let it seep, then add more.

BEFORE

AFTER

nathan

i wont lie chris,
those pics of your seats scare me!
all or nothing.
good luck!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

AMG69

Just think of it as plastic surgery in progress Dr V.  ;)  Looks messy but end result will be perfection   ;D

john skene

Great work so far, very helpful; I am looking forward to seeing the end result before I start mine.

AMG69

a few people have sought an update on my progress. 

I spent last week on business in KL and Singapore so a bit behind!  Anyway, I have almost finished the "prepping" of both front seats.  There is no doubt the 320grit wet and dry is brilliant at getting rid of surface cracks and with the Leatherique Prepping Agent most of the balck dye is also removed.  What I have discovered is that you may need a few layers of Leatherique's Crack Filler in the big cracks that remain AFTER you have done the initial sanding.  The Crack Filler seems to work really well though - its white and quite thin to apply; I've used a spatula and trickled some into each crack.  It dries overnight (90% of my work to date has been after work) and is clear.  Then you just use some more wet and dry to sand it smooth.   Then repeat the process if necessary.  I am really impressed with this stuff - all the big cracks are now filled with what looks like a clear resin.  So, in respect of the Leatherique products - no problems to date.  Now, on the back seat I had a big tear (sorry, I'll load photos when I get home).  This I have repaired with another product:

http://www.magicmender.com/

Have a read of their testimonials.  Anyway, this product is so far also working. As they suggest you layer on their putty over any holes and let it dry; Sand it back smooth and relayer as necessary.  So far so good.  I had a hole the size of a 5c piece on the front seat so I filled that as they suggest.  It has taken a few layers (sanding back after each layer dries) to get this neat and tidy and smooth.

So, I have gone to great pains on the prepping stage to get all surfaces really smoth and crack free before the "there is no turning back now" dyeing stage.  Hope to have last bit of sanding of crack filler and Magic Mender done this week and then dyeing.  I know I've said that before but everything I read says the key to a good result is all this prepartion work in advance.

oscar

AMG69, great work so far.  After reading testimonials ages ago when leatherique was mentioned, it's great to see a work in progress.   I applaud you for going ahead with it and sharing the experience.   I suspect there's many watching to see how it's done and what the end result will be like. 
So don't stuff up ;) ;D

A couple of questions,

1.  The finished pics of others look sooo good but when I hear about sanding the filler, I can't help but relate it to building products and think of the fillers as being rigid and inflexible like plaster, and unlike a silicone filler.  Is the leatherique crack filler and/or magicmender stuff flexible?  What's the cured fillers like?

2.  From the instructions you have, can vinyl tears or cracks (aka mb-tex) be filled with the leatherique or magic mender product fillers?  The magicmender site mentions vinyl kits but I'm still trying to find them thru the site.

Thanks.
1973 350SE, my first & fave