News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

A Leatherique Experience

Started by AMG69, 07 December 2006, 09:40 PM

AMG69

Oscar, yes the crack filler dries and is becomes clear and very flexible.  The remains on the spatula just peel off the next day!  Not sure about vinyl application...

Here are before and during shots of the tear on the back seat:

and after MAGIC MENDER applied (next stage is dye)

sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

AMG69

OK, here is the front driver's seat.  First a photo of the Crack filler applied (still wet, so white) and below it the hole being repaired.  First you insert the mesh (to give the putty something grip to) then cover it with the Mender putty.  Then next photo shows dried (clear) Crack filler before sanding (top) and the dried putty (also pre sanding) at the bottom;

lastly a few  photos of a section BEFORE and AFTER crack filler has been sanded smooth - just the filled crack is visible AFTER.  The leather is perfectly smooth to touch.

john skene

This is a great post, it is going to be of real help to those of us that will also give it a go. The tear in your seat is horrendous, miles worse than any of the marks on my leather that was thrown out during my upgrade! Hopefully it will work well for you and save your leather!

As always, I find out these things too late!!

Brian Crump

You're a brave man AMG69!!! I wish you every success with it - fortune favours the brave, in this case!!
Regards,
Brian

gregdeklerk

Hi AMG69,

I assume you are going to spray on the black dye at some stage? What stil needs to be done before then?

Greg

Mforcer

That is all looking very impressive! We all may need to give that a try eventually!
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

AMG69

Greg, everything I read STRESSES preparation is the KEY before dyeing so I am really delaying the dyeing (which I have ready to go) until I am certain I am happy with the prep work.  Once you dye there is no going back!!  Sorry its all taking so long guys but I am a family man and running a business and time available to do this is very very rare!

john skene

Hi AMG69, have you had a chance to try dyeing the leather seats yet? I hope that everything went well. Any hints for the rest of us before we try a similar project?

AMG69

John, no sorry I just havent had time.   :-\   And with Mrs M working (she's a Copper) all weekend I am on Parenting duties all weekend so no chance they will get done this weekend either.  On the plus side I did get back my new centre console this weekend and I will post photos tomorrow!

john skene

I look forward to seeing them. When you do the dying, I hope everything goes well.

John Hubertz

Any updates and finish pictures on this thread?
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

AMG69

Here are some photos of the finished product; I have been told by Leatherique that I pout too much dye on and would hav ehad better results if had done many very light layers rather than two thicker layers...hmm..oh well, its a damn sight better than it was and much of the leather is now supple as new.

Before

AFTER!

BEFORE

AFTER