News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

A couple 450SEL questions

Started by Ilike300sd, 10 December 2011, 09:54 AM

Ilike300sd

There is a little sticker on the windshield on the lower right that says " a genuine Daimler product" or something like that with a signature.  What is the deal with that?  Is that just a marketing thing they did?

Does anyone know of a website that shows what wheels came standard with which car and what wheels were options?  My 79 car has chrome wheels (that I don't like and am planning on getting rid of) and I seem to see those wheels on SLs so I wondering if maybe those were available on the SEL as an option or if the owner just added them from some other car (such as an SL).

Has anyone replaced the rear seat cushion themselves?  A local MB parts guy said you can do it yourself by buying foam (different densities) and cutting it to fit but I'm wondering if it wouldn't cost much more to have an upholstery shop do it.  I know about the whole seat replacement pad you can buy form gahh but I think top and bottom is like $600 for just the foam padding.  That seems high.

WGB

The company in the 70's was called Daimler Benz AG  and they manufactured the Mercedes car.
The sticker is marketing.

Get the Data Card for your car and it will tell you what wheels the car was manufactured with.

The standard wheel for the 450 was the 14 x 6.5 steel wheel with painted hubcaps.

The only factory option was "Bundt" style aluminium wheels - also 14 x 6.5.

Chrome wheels were not a factory option.

Yes - I have replaced my front and rear upholstery myself using GAHH supplied materials.

My opinion - Either pay the money to GAHH or to the upholsterer - you may be lucky with foam and it is not that hard to do with the seats removed from the car but the material you will be working with will be very old and crumbly.

Bill

jbrasile

Ilike300SD,

The "just" foam part is actually rubberized coco fiber which is basically identical to the original and will restore the seats to a factory new feel.

I can supply the pair from GAHH at $367.20 + shipping (432.00 list)

A professional should do the installation and check the spring box for broken springs, etc....

Tks,

Joe