'79 300SD - Looking for tips to get an iPod, iPhone working

Started by MacGeek, 01 July 2009, 06:28 PM

MacGeek

Hopefully tomorrow I will get to pickup my first MB, a 1979 300SD.  It has the original Becker radio and some aftermarket CD changer in the truck.  The cd changer works via FM broadcast.   I want to have my iPod/iPhone integrated to the sound system.  I do not want an FM modulation solution, been there, don't like the sound quality.  I have a Sony radio from previous cars that has an external input so I know my iPod would work with it, without a problem.

Is there anyway to keep the Becker radio and get a line in connection to it?

How hard is it to replace the Becker radio with say a Sony?

I don't usually listen to broadcast radio anymore.  I either listen to Sirius or my iPod/iPhone.

pez

Check the front page of this site...there is a link to the old Becker website, which shows how to wire in a plug for ipod/satellite...or you can send it to them and they will do it, too.

koan

Quote from: MacGeek on 01 July 2009, 06:28 PM
Is there anyway to keep the Becker radio and get a line in connection to it?

If you are handy with a soldering iron (or know someone who is) you could try Becker Mexico Input Modification.

http://www.w116.org/library/becker_upgrade

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

WGB

I have a version of this Becker modification in my 6.9 with an aftermarket amp as well as a Nokia handsfree  kit with a separate speaker - all work well.

Bill