News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

79 300SD cowl grill assembly

Started by bmonk, 26 December 2010, 10:46 PM

bmonk

So I removed the wiper arms and cowl grill and screen to check the inner areas around the wiper motor for rust in the firewall, trying to locate the source of a leak into the driver footwell. Not finding anything I went to reassemble everything and realized I stupidly did not pay attention to how it was put together before. Now I know its very simple except i seem to have a long rubber weather strip that I'm unsure which edge it fits on. Honestly, I'm in the middle of a couple major projects on this car and its possible it doesn't even belong to this assembly. Here are a couple images of what I'm looking at. The rubber seal/weather strip is between the grill and the screen.

Can someone look at their W116 cowl grill and tell me if this is indeed part of the assembly and what edge it attaches to please. I've got many parts off the vehicle, including the sunroof pan which I've been repairing rust on to stop it from leaking. The last thing I need to start mixing up parts.... Yes I'll start paying better attention!

Squiggle Dog

That rubber strip goes along one edge of the screen, probably toward the front so it can rest against the inside of the grille without scuffing it.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

koan

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 27 December 2010, 03:46 PM
That rubber strip goes along one edge of the screen, probably toward the front so it can rest against the inside of the grille without scuffing it.

Not sure but on mine the top back edge of the grille sits under the windscreen rubber and the bottom back edge has the rubber and it sits on the body at the back of the hole that has the wiper cranks.

Could be wrong but that's where I put it :)

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Squiggle Dog

Quote from: koan on 28 December 2010, 01:08 PM

Not sure but on mine the top back edge of the grille sits under the windscreen rubber and the bottom back edge has the rubber and it sits on the body at the back of the hole that has the wiper cranks.

Could be wrong but that's where I put it :)

koan

Hmmm... maybe. Now that I think of it, I remember a 3-piece weatherstripping set that went along the edge of the screen. There may have been one for the grille itself.

Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

bmonk

Yeah I'm still not sure, but I don't think it was on the front edge of the screen like you suggest squiggle. When I place it there, the grill has a lot more resistance when trying to sit flush and line up with the rivet holes than I remember when I took it apart. I believe it was either on the back edge of the grill like koan suggests or the back edge of the screen. As long as it isn't one of the seals for my sunroof cover or pan, it shouldn't matter too much. Now I just need to find  new rivets to replace the 4 I removed. Thanks for the help guys. I've undertaken a lot of work on this car the past couple weeks and getting parts mixed up is not helping move things along!

I'll make a new thread when I'm finished, about my sunroof pan removal and repair job using POR-15 and fiberglass cloth to fix the rust, and hopefully the leaking problem.

koan

Quote from: bmonk on 28 December 2010, 05:18 PM
I believe it was either on the back edge of the grill like koan suggests or the back edge of the screen.

Might go on the back edge of the screen now that I think about it.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

jsulen

I am really not sure about that rubber strip. In my omix hood bumper, I don't any rubber like that. But I also think that it depends on what brand you are using.