News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

78 450SEL BODY RESTORATION

Started by jbrasile, 12 February 2011, 03:40 PM

oscar

Joe that's brilliant!!  Congratulations on a fantastic job.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Charlie

foss

1979 450sel 6.9 SOLD BACK TO ROBERT D.
2002 745i
1978 450sel 148,000kms SOLD
2004 S430
2019 S350D AMG line

john6007

Super job, hopefully one day I can have a w116 that looks as nice.
79 - 450SEL 6.9 #5628 &  #6466, 92 - 300CE-24, 98 - MX-5, 89 - Ducati 906 Paso

ulysees

Lovely just Lovely.  Aren't these some of the best / greatest looking vehicles of all time... 

ulysees

adamb

My 6.9 is going to the body shop for a complete respray next weekend. It's going to be a big job but this is a different dimension. Congratulations.

brlufer

Quote from: jbrasile on 12 February 2011, 05:16 PM

.... the 77 6.9 we finished last year took 2 1/2 years in two phases. If the owner (who is also a member) allows I will post some pictures, incredible car!

Joe

Please Joe, feel free.

Luiz

EDZ649

Fantastic! What a beautiful job you have done, If my 450 SEL looks anything near as good as that when it's done I'll be more than happy!

1980sdga

WOW! Nice to see your car in such detail!

Very inspirational!

jbrasile

Tks Jon!

I still need to have the wheels re-finished, they have some chips and scratches when you look up close, maybe later this month.

Joe

Type17

I had missed this thread until now - nice work  :)

Great colour combination, too 8)
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

Big_Richard

This thread is very inspirational  8)

However, I do wish that stripping the car, primering the car and having it in top coat were steps that were indeed as fast as a camera flash. Unfortunately thats not the case  :o

jbrasile

Tom, it took the dealership 4 full months to strip the paint, do the body work, prepare and re-paint the car. And don't forget I delivered the shell completely bare and they had a full team of pros working on the project almost full time! So congrats on your efforts with TJ, you guys are doing tremendously  well!

Tks,

Joe

Big_Richard

wow, 4 months with a team of pros. we've (TJ) only been able to spend 1 or 2 days per week on the project. I have since suggested to TJ to come and do sanding every night after work too, I get the feeling this is going to take forever.

jbrasile

It won't, the key is to be patient during this phase because the end result will greatly depend on how meticulous you guys are in the preparation for paint.

Once you are satisfied that the body is perfect and the first coat of paint goes on it moves fairly quickly.

It took me 3 1/2 months to put the car back together by myself working some nights during the week and some weekends, every single chrome piece was cleaned and polished, clips replaced, well... really crazy stuff.... I almost can't believe I pulled it off...

You guys working as a team should fare much better, keep it up!

Tks,

Joe