News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

77 6.9 Restoration

Started by jbrasile, 20 February 2011, 09:46 PM

etmerritt33

Joe,

I agree with you totally about the quality and attention to detail in restorations and making an effort to get everything 100% especially mechanically as every detail matters with respect to how the cars feel and behave. I am very sensitive to that and if something does not seem right from a sensory standpoint I have felt compelled to dig into it and fix it. I put a euro engine in my U.S. 6.9 just because I was not satisfied with how the car idled.

On the XWX's Coker has dropped the price to below $ 450 each which tempts me but I am still sorting a 85 280E euro 5 spd Getrag manual and still have some things to do to it which take money. I think with the 6.9's weight it is a better match for the XWX's than many would think. My only previous experience with XWX's has been with early Porsche 911S cars which weigh half of what the 6.9 weighs. So, I am thinking the ride with a 6.9 would be fine while you benefit from those extremely stiff sidewalls which are more rigid than any other tire I have come across.

The underside of the green 6.9 is even better than the topside. That is an area most neglect and I can see from the pics you did not overlook anything. I replaced every single piece of suspension rubber on my car and that made a difference in the feel from the driver's seat.

Keep us updated with new pics of your Mercedes restorations. They serve as motivation and validation for many that own these cars and question how much money, time and effort to put into them. I am operating under a belief that for M-100 cars, even the 6.9's, that at some point there will be very, very few that are close to 100% and that they will increase in value. When I sold several early Porsche 911S cars they were worth very little and now even rags are bringing big money. Wish I had kept my 1970 911S and 1973 911S and put some money into them.

Best regards,

Tom