News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

76 450SEL need some advice

Started by GypsyKingg, 20 June 2012, 02:32 PM

GypsyKingg

Just joined this AWESOME forum about a hour ago! Hello everyone Im Joshua and proud to own a w116.

Looking for...

-Roof rack
- Amber lights for the american headlights
- and a upgrade for the speakers and there funny sizes.

An help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone ;D

Squiggle Dog

Are you looking for a roof rack like this?

I got mine on eBay from blacklionsales, but it appears they may be out of stock. The wood comes raw, so you have to finish it, which is time-consuming. They also don't have the most secure way of attaching to the roof rails.

The American version W116 headlights never came with amber lights, but you can use ones from a W123 (they are actually fog lights instead of high beams on W123s) because they are 7" like both headlight sets on the W116.

I found a set of new Pioneer speakers at PickNPull (they've had at least 5 W116s in the yard in the past 2 months) that fit the front speakers in my W116 very well, but I'm not much help other than that.

Also, it's nice to see another Washingtonian on here, though in less than 2 weeks I will be living in Phoenix, Arizona.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

GypsyKingg

Thank you so much!

The roof rack you have is fantastic, i would love to get my dirty mits on one. I guess ill just keep my eyes peeled for them.

Great info on the w123 lights. that's the kind of info im looking for! what years fit the beast and what wont. Thank you

They really have some in the pic 'n pull? crazy. ill have to give them a call and see if there are any in now. Love going to pic n' pull just to fool around.

Bummer! well i mean if your moving to better your life then awesome! haha i was hoping i could find other people in the surrounding area to cruise/talk about our cars with. Thanks again for all your advice, it really helps.

Cheers bud.

GypsyKingg

Im taking it in today to have the steering wheel fixed. I can turn left about 2 inches before it actually starts turning  but when i turn right it turns instantly. also ever time i drive over road turtles or any bumps it reverberates up through my steering wheel something fierce. Other then that it has small issues like the speedo doesnt work  ::)

ckamila

GypsyKingg - Tru-line is one of the best front end shops around with both Bellevue and Seattle locations. 3rd generation family owned. Not cheap, but good work.

Chris
If it's not broke i haven't fix it yet...

1980 300SD, 170K
1985 300D, 235K

GypsyKingg

Thank you!

I ended up taking to to SA-GO auto in Bellevue. They replaced my steering coupling unit and did a alignment for a decent price. Good prices, free inspections, Solid mechanics. I will be going back to them. I heard about SA through people at my work, they came highly recommended. I hopefully will be getting it back by lunch. Not being able to cruise this weekend sucked but what are you gonna do?

Are there a bunch of w116 owners in the Seattle area? if so we should plan on a meet or a cruise! Would anybody be interested in that???

Casey

Wouldn't installing W123 fog lights as headlights render you without any sort of decent headlights??

I *really* like the amber fogs in conjunction with either low or high beams on W123/W124's, it's much nicer than the clear fogs on either W123's or W116's for visibility, at least to my eyes.  I found an amber fog light cover for a W116 for sale once, but as there was only one available and I couldn't find any others, I didn't buy it.

Tony66_au

The trick with fog lights is position, they HAVE to be low and preferably at or below bumper level as this is where the fog iis the thinnest.

35 to 55 watt globes so the light doesn't bounce back and the colour is irrelevant, remember that fog light tech has advanced a lot since the 70's and this is why they are now all mounted low or with lenses that virtually throw the light right infront of the car in a narrow wide beam.

I has a business wholesaling globes for a bit Mainly Tungsram/G.E. and they would drag us in for product info sessions all the time on new lens tech etc

TJ 450

Apparently there is no difference in penetration, though human vision is a lot more sensitive in this range of wavelength I believe.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Tony66_au

I was told that it depends on the size of the blood veins at the back of your eye or how sensitive you were to light.

As I wear corrective lenses that gradually darken with sunlight this normally doesnt bother me and I can drive in glare no probs day or night, I also have a pair of polarised anti glare glasses with a slight orange tint I bought when I drove trucks and these are fantastic even though the script is older and give excellent results at night in lousy conditions for both vision forward and oncoming traffic glare.

3 Optometrists till I got one that knew what I wanted in prescription driving glasses.

The only issue in replacing them is finding aviator style frames these days.

GypsyKingg

This turned into a interesting read  ;D

Im going to try and bring it back to cars though. I got my car back from the shop and the steering is perfect again! did it for a great price too, I think they just a got a regular. Anyways back to the reason im writing.....

Ill try to explain the symptoms the best I can. There is a knocking/humming/ groaning sound coming from under the middle of my car up through my center channel, pretty loud too. At about 1/2 to full throttle it does not make a sound, when I start laying off the accelerator the humming or vibrating and the knock starts. When i stop sometimes the knock will stick around but not for long. Ive gotten under her and the only smoking gun I saw was some rub marks on the heat shield above the exhaust about midway down the car. The car seems to perform normally.... just these noticeable sounds are worrying me. The mechanic said hes sure its something from inside my catalytic converter. I just dont know???? has this happened to anyone else? or can you guys tell me your thoughts?

John Hubertz

Could easily be exhaust related noise - I'd be sure to inspect all the hangers to make sure they are the correct little rubber donuts and have adequate clearance.  Another suspect would be the first muffler, as the internal baffles can become loose and make noise - here's a pic of the whole system:

Another thing to check very carefully would be the flex disc, coupler and center support mount in the driveshaft - especially since the steering disc was obviously shot. 
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

GypsyKingg

Thanks so much for that info mate!

I didnt dive to far into the drive shaft but gave it a really good tug and shove to see if i could get it to move, rock solid.

The steering wheel problem was the coupling unit and alignment. I just got those both fixed and the steering is phenomenal now.

I will check those component s of the drive train tonight. Thanks again!

Cheers

Papalangi

I have had trouble with the rubber donuts that hold up the exhaust system.  As they age, they droop and rip.  Mine makes a banging and thumping noise on right hand low speed turns turns and I've not been able to find it.

When my flex disc was bad, it made a thrumming noise under both under load and engine braking but not so much at cruise.

Although I'm currently living in Des Moines, just south of Seatac, I did live in Bellevue from '63 to '79.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

GypsyKingg

Hello Papa from D.M

Was that disk a hard fix? or expensive?

My little bands holding the exhaust do look used and old.