News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

76 450SEL need some advice

Started by GypsyKingg, 20 June 2012, 02:32 PM

Big_Richard

Papalangi

You could have a collapsed motor motor mount or the transmission mount could bad or loose.  It sounds like it's one of those things that's gonna take a lot of flailing about under the car with a flash light, a pry bar, a dead blow hammer and something to use as a gauge to check clearances.

I've always assumed my noise is exhaust system related but whats odd is that as the car warms up, it gets quieter.  Maybe a jiont is loose and as the pipe expands, it tightens up.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

GypsyKingg

I have another week before im paid. can i safely drive it with a bad tranny mount? When i was under the car i saw that my tranny mount did look bad,

But is it safe to drive?

Thank you guys so much again. Its weird.... Ive belonged to a couple Volkswagen forums (I owned a 71 & 67 Beetle) and they were not nearly as nice and responsive to new chaps like myself. It was like you had to been in their weird "all knowing" cult to even be recognized.  Thanks everyone.  ;D

Tony66_au

No Problems GK,  I dont mind helping even if im wrong because when someone says "Thanks" it reminds me that people really are not all THAT bad lol

Plus we all learn something in these threads which will help us or someone else out later on,  I also collect Chryslers and love Mopar's in general and this led to friendships in the US over time, and when I was last in the US I had a few visits to make to stop and say G'day.

What goes around comes around.

Tony

Tony66_au

Oh and before I forget, if its making a noise that doesnt sound "Right"?

Id leave it parked up until you replace the bits or find the source of the noise and make sure the driveline hasnt shifted too much or you havent got a dodgy engine mount as well.

GypsyKingg

Eh thats sad info Tony, its my only way to work. Thats why i asked.

Hot damn! cant a guy just get to work!!!!

Tony66_au

It's a judgement call really and made from a long way away in my case.

If you feel it is safe to do so then drive it to work, just go easy.

Casey

Old donuts removed from my 450SE tonight - replaced with the same style because I had some new ones lying around and don't remember where I put the upgrade versions:

Those bracket parts came off when I tried tightening the bolt. It was quite loose and the rubber block that should be on top of the bracket is long gone, so I suspect that's why I periodically hear rattling from the rear of the car.

oversize

There were later-style donuts available with a rubber block supported in the centre.  That stopped the exhaust bouncing up and hitting, or rubbing on the body.  They were a little harder to fit and I'm not sure if they're still available.
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

Casey

Quote from: oversize on 30 June 2012, 09:50 PM
There were later-style donuts available with a rubber block supported in the centre.  That stopped the exhaust bouncing up and hitting, or rubbing on the body.  They were a little harder to fit and I'm not sure if they're still available.
MercedesSource has them, link posted above. Pretty cheap too.

Tony66_au

You will need a big hook with a D handle to fit them with the car on a hoist as the new ones are VERY hard to fit, not recommended unless the car if firm and stable.

Casey

Quote from: Tony66_au on 01 July 2012, 04:21 AM
You will need a big hook with a D handle to fit them with the car on a hoist as the new ones are VERY hard to fit, not recommended unless the car if firm and stable.
Nonsense. All you need is a flathead screwdriver and a little bit of patience. A lift is nice for the job but by no means necessary. I've fitted over a dozen of them with only a screwdriver, including before I had a lift.  They ARE harder, particularly if your exhaust has been repaired and does not line up perfectly, as in addition to having the center block they are thicker and stretch less, but not at all impossible and you don't need to put any excessive forces on the car to get them on, just a nice slow prybar effect with the screwdriver, and then you push it up the screwdriver and onto the hook with your other hand.

That said, given that I've had a Mercedes jack slip over and drop a car onto its rotor, and complete jack point failure due to hidden rust, I wouldn't climb under a car using the spare tire jack...it's just not worth the risk. I'll reserve that for emergency tire swapping only. If you do, chock the wheels and don't just trust parking brake to be sufficient, make sure your jack points are secure and there's no funny feeling or cracks around them, and make sure the jack is 100% perfectly vertical, not just before the car is lifted but after.

If you don't have access to a lift, just buy a floor jack. Really. Your life is worth it.

Tony66_au

Jacking Benzes is a bit hairy because they are so damned rigid, I have raised a few Mercs on one side completely using the rear jack point so front and rear chocks on BOTH of the opposite wheels are a must.

Papalangi

Quote from: Tony66_au on 01 July 2012, 08:09 AM
Jacking Benzes is a bit hairy because they are so damned rigid, I have raised a few Mercs on one side completely using the rear jack point so front and rear chocks on BOTH of the opposite wheels are a must.

And pay attention to which end is down hill.  I was jacking the rear of the Crown Vic, which was up hill and forgot to chock the fronts.  Caught it before it rolled away and called myself several names, none complimentary.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

GypsyKingg

All great advice! Thanks everyone

So i believe i found my culprit.... after squigglin under the car again and re checking everything i noticed my tranny mount was junk, at first glance it looks fine but the closer you look  :o

Will be replacing that and putting on those heavy duty hangers, also replacing some vacuum lines this weekend. My Idle is a little rough and low. Oh! and new tires. Bringing class to Bellevue one part at a time. But i do agree with everyone, jacking the Merc up was a bit unnerving haha so much weight.

Thanks everyone for this great collaboration of knowledge. 

Cheers.