News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

75 280S Front seat install problem

Started by postman70, 14 January 2021, 08:33 AM

postman70

Hello all, having major difficulties reinstalling my front passenger seat. For some reason it is only exposing one bolt hole at a time on either side front or back. I lubed up tracks for Ramp up feature and front to back movement. Seat slides very easy ( at least it seems to be) in both front to back and ramp up and down operation. Is there a trick to this? I feel like I'm gonna have a heart attack from fighting with this seat. It don't seem to matter if I try to do front bolts first or rear. Only one side is exposed for either option. From experience is it easier to to try to get front bolts in first or rear? Thanks for any and all help 🙃

rumb

Did you remove the large single spring underneath?
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

postman70

No I didn't remove it. Is it supposed to be removed? I have to check now to see if it's there.. I'm almost certain that it is though because I remember seeing a spring somewhere under there

Alec300SD

Either way should work, but the seat needs to be at the proper height.

I've usually put in the front bolts first.
The seat needs to be at the maximum height  setting, and the maximum rear most position to install the front bolts.

Then lower the seat, slide it forward and install the rear bolts.
78 W116 300SD 'Desert Rose' new as of 01/26/2014
79 W116 300SD 'Stormcloud' RIP 04/11/2022

postman70

If I remove spring would it make installing seat easier? Is it something that can be reinstalled with seat mounted to car?

Howard60

I have recently done this with my front seats and had the same problem. My solution was to loosely fit 3 of the bolts (do them up, but dont tighten) then use a Philips head screw driver to locate the last hole. Using a bit of brute force!

But another option mentioned on the forum is to disconnect the spring, fit the seat, then use something like a coat hanger to reattach the spring to the frame. I cant comment on how easy that might be, but if I were doing it again, I would definitely try this technique.

good luck!

Howard
Previously: 280ce W123, 450slc C107, 350se W116, 230e W123, 250ce W114

Howard60

I have recently done this with my front seats and had the same problem. My solution was to loosely fit 3 of the bolts (do them up, but dont tighten) then use a Philips head screw driver to locate the last hole. Using a bit of brute force!

But another option mentioned on the forum is to disconnect the spring, fit the seat, then use something like a coat hanger to reattach the spring to the frame. I cant comment on how easy that might be, but if I were doing it again, I would definitely try this technique.

good luck!

Howard
Previously: 280ce W123, 450slc C107, 350se W116, 230e W123, 250ce W114

postman70

Thank all of you for your advice. I may give it another go tomorrow.